turning in sub nanometres

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Single pass finishing an acrylic dome using a diamond tool and ultraprecision lathe:

In the comments he mentions the lathe can position in the order of .01 nanometer, and in another, it is using laser inferometry to achieve this.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
bizarre stuff.

Machined on something by Moore....didn't know they were still around but nice to see. https://nanotechsys.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/250UPLv2-Brochure-Rev.0818.pdf

I've used an interferometer before and it could measure to a micro inch. Needed to compensate for air temp because of change in density and hence speed of light if irrc.

But this thing measures to a tiny fraction of that! I didn't know interferometers could. I nanameter = .039 micro inches and it measure to .01 nano meters! If I've done the math right, that is 3.94 billionths of an inch....wouldn't have thought it possible. .01 nanometers? Visible light wavelength is several hundred nanometers

Wow, all this going on that I'm clueless about.....I have to get out more!

Last edited:

Rauce

Ultra Member
Here’s a neat video on the Moore CMM that’s in use at NIST.

This machine is kind of the gold standard for accuracy of measurement and can measure accurately down to 10nm.

I imagine the 0.1nm on diamond turning lathes is the resolution of the system. The positional accuracy is probably several orders of magnitude greater.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I imagine the 0.1nm on diamond turning lathes is the resolution of the system. The positional accuracy is probably several orders of magnitude greater.

You are right. The spec sheet in the link says Programming Resolution .01 nm, however the motion accuracy is 12.5 nm, so quite a difference, I missed that. Its only machining to a millionth not a billionth, phht :D. I find to machine to a millionth you have hold you tongque just so....

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I didn't spend the time you did on the spec sheet -- but the idea of building an CNC capable of a mechanical resolution of 1 millionth is mind boggling!! I'm always intrigued by the steady progress of accuracy. CMMs have gone way beyond what was considered achievable when the first came out, for instance.