• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Trying to track down a SSR (Solid State Relay)

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Kind of a long shot,

Anyone have a spare SSR kicking around? (3-32vdc input, 240Vac output)

@PeterT @Tom O and @Johnwa are three potentials, as have all mentioned working on the same heat treat oven project that I need this SSR for.

I had one, but it quit on me. Have a buddy coming over Thursday, so am hoping to find one in the next day or so. Called around town, but no one carries them. Ordered some online, but won't deliver till late February. :'(

Let me know! Happy to pay of course.

JW

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry bud. I just want to USE your oven! ha-ha. Hopefully some electrical savy guy will come to the rescue.

Geoff

Sounds like its is too late now but the last time I was at active components on 32nd. NE, they had a small selection of SSR. That spec you are looking for sounds pretty common so I wouldn't be surprised if they had one in stock. Another place is B&E Electronics.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey @Johnwa

Actually, Could I buy that off of you? I have a bunch coming in the mail, but not expecting delivery till the end of February.

Am pretty keen to get the kiln all fired up again.

Let me know!

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Sure, Give me a call at 403-281-....
(Josh Edit: Hidden number to keep spam calls down.)

Last edited by a moderator:

alman

Kind of a long shot,

Anyone have a spare SSR kicking around? (3-32vdc input, 240Vac output)

@PeterT @Tom O and @Johnwa are three potentials, as have all mentioned working on the same heat treat oven project that I need this SSR for.

I had one, but it quit on me. Have a buddy coming over Thursday, so am hoping to find one in the next day or so. Called around town, but no one carries them. Ordered some online, but won't deliver till late February. :'(

Let me know! Happy to pay of course.

JW

HI,

ther re many places in town that carry SSR's, , ,
B&E Electronics:
Address: 444 Manitou Rd SE, Calgary, AB T2G 4C4
Phone:(403) 243-7211
MRO Electronics:
Address: 2240 Pegasus Rd NE, Calgary, AB T2E 8K7
Phone:(403) 291-0501
and as a last resort Active Components
Address: 2015 32 Ave NE #1, Calgary, AB T2E 6Z3
Phone:(403) 291-5626

Will install an check out the oven to make sure all is good, , , a couple beers works for me ! :)

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Will install an check out the oven to make sure all is good, , , a couple beers works for me ! :)

Hey @alman
I would love to have someone with more electrical know how take a look at it for me.

I'm happy to share the beer stock too, haha.

The SSR I had working failed again, will have to get some more. I think heat is the issue, as the SSR was mounted inside of an enclosed space very close to a hot kiln.

JW

alman

Hey @alman
I would love to have someone with more electrical know how take a look at it for me.

I'm happy to share the beer stock too, haha.

The SSR I had working failed again, will have to get some more. I think heat is the issue, as the SSR was mounted inside of an enclosed space very close to a hot kiln.

JW
Hi Jwest,

call me [Phone Number Redacted for your protection | JW ]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Thanks @alman,

Definitely will. Got your number written down now.

Should we wait till I have a replacement SSR over the weekend, or do you think checking it out with this known broken part is worth the adventure?

alman

SSR are stock in both locations, , , potential issue is;
1- SSR under rated, causing internal failure
2- circuit has issue, causing failure
3- heating element has a fault, causing short circuit in SSR
I assume the circuit is not fused, therefore SSR is getting punched when fail occurs - very bad / dangerous design
Do you have circuit schematic, , if so send yo me directly
SSR have great advantageous over any other control/output device -
No moving parts to weld, arc, or otherwise fail by cyclic usage
inherent internal protection from over/under voltage and spike situations

( 30 yrs electro-mech tech )

call soonest, , ,

alman

Thanks @alman,

Definitely will. Got your number written down now.

Should we wait till I have a replacement SSR over the weekend, or do you think checking it out with this known broken part is worth the adventure?

Hi, haven't heard from you yet, , , still want it fixed ???

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Interesting, it looks like I may have some counterfeits on the way. I'm planning on a 15 amp load so hopefully they will be ok.

alman

Hi all, , , ,
in my original reply, I listed local vendors for replacement SSR, , , the reason is simple. having been in the electro-mechanicial field for 30 years, the issue of 'counterfeit' devices has been a major issue in industry. The listed vendors are ISO or other industry standard certified vendors and their suppliers must also be. You get what you pay for. Siemens, Allen Bradley, Omron, to name a few, all have been victim to unscrupulous Chinese and Korean knock off manufactures, , , and the end user has suffered major issues , fires, explosions, etc, because of these devices poor construction and design. Don't always head to ebay or off-shore vendors for devices of this nature. "Buyer beware" means just that. Years back, I had a project from NORTEL, with a short time-line. The majority of my components for this design came from Princess Auto, , their Surplus / RFE section. Turk proximity sensors, SSR's, relays, pneumatic actuators, solenoids, etc, , . Each part was checked to verify OEM spec, code, and part number. THIS is acceptable and it worked flawlessly. Check the specs against your requirements, , , input / output voltage and current, pressure and flow, etc. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY IMITATIONS, price is not everything when the unit catches fire or blows up in your face. Keep this in mind when you see great deals on parachutes made in China.