• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Truing work in the 4 jaw chuck

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now I position the indicator tip into the part, with at least several revolutions of the dial. And put it to zero
-finger in the chuck, rotate it 180 degrees, what does the indicator read, in this case its 20, therefore center is half way between 0 and 20, which in this particular case is 35. (Dont worry about the numbers too much, just know you have to move half of the total movement)
-go back to the zero, finger in the chuck, and adjust the jaw until the needle moves to 35
-just keep your finger in the chuck and keep rotating the chuck 180 degrees, loosening and tightening until the needle points to 35 at both opposing jaws.
- adjust dial indicator to show zero
- now work on the opposite set of jaws, finger in the chuck, back and forth adjusting to zero
-Now that everyting is at zero, or within a couple thou, start tightening, only working on one opposing set of jaws at a time, and adjust to zero.
The whole process should take less than a couple minutes.

I think we need to do the 4-jaw Challenge. No 3-jaws allowed for a month!!

Attachments

• 20230306_172435.jpg
    20230306_172435.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230306_172502.jpg
    20230306_172502.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230306_175123.jpg
    20230306_175123.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 5

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Count me in! Only 4 jaws allowed for one month!
My chucks are so annoying to change that the 4-jaw basically lives on the lathe.
If there's any center mark on the work I start by getting it close using the foot stock center. Then I move to an indicator on a magnetic base on my carriage. That makes setting the dial to zero easier, especially with a DTI. It's pretty quick splitting the differences.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My chucks are so annoying to change that the 4-jaw basically lives on the lathe.

My 5C collet chuck lives on my lathe 80% of the time. I put the 3 jaw on mostly to use bigger stock than a collet can handle. I use custom spider chucks more than I use my big 4 jaw so this will be fun!

trevj

Ultra Member
The method shown by thestelster, is really close to what I was explaining in print previously. I only see two things he does different, one is he has the indicator at the front, I like to have it at the back. Having a bigger lathe makes his set-up work, I just got used to planting the indicator out the back side of the lathe. Leaves the front clear to use the chuck key without interfering with the indicator and mount.

After eyeballing the work in, I like to move my cross slide until the needle points towards the chuck at mid swing, so the needle position is being adjusted towards 'center' as well as the amount of swing of that needle, is being reduced.

trevj

Ultra Member
Hmmmm, we were under the impression that wasn't possible...... Impressive!:p
..... back to hiding under my rock on the fringe of civilization.....:rolleyes:
Fringe?

Geez, man, it's not like it's an hour's drive to find a street light! LOL!

Though I might tend to agree, if you were saying that here, isn't very civilized! :p

Gotta say, when I moved away, we didn't have any of the big city ammenities, like a homless shelter or a food bank! No we do! Civilization is closing in!

trevj

Ultra Member
I k
When you’re trying to get away with shady things

The last thing you do is imply you’re doing shady things

Stay with us, grasshopper, we’ll be your guiding light
I know him well enough to suggest if he were doing anything in the shade, he'd bump his head, and be asking first aid questions!

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I was putting a pulley into the 4 jaw so I can bore out it's already oversized bore and make it fit my motor. The pulley has a 1" bore and the motor has a 7/8" shaft. Going to have to run the lathe in reverse pretty quickly to put that much back into the bore.....:rolleyes:
I thought as we have quite a few new members I would start a thread on truing up parts in the 4 jaw, and hopefully we can find a few different odd ball setups to post up pictures of that will show how useful the 4 jaw is.
I'll start with how I pick up a bore or center punch mark (using a smaller center of course) and dial it in.
View attachment 31419
This is a good method for centering the bore, when the outside is out of round for whatever reason.
This is a very effective way to find out -- another good way to learn, thanks.

I rarely use 4 PAWS because it takes too much time to clamp, so I try to make the 3 PAWS more centered.

However, if the accuracy requirement is very high, must be 4 claws to do precision.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Is this a picture of you? I like to see my real mechanical friends -- handsome little old men ----

I have a slightly faster method, which can achieve a fast and more accurate way to find the center. It is difficult to describe the whole language. I will send another post to explain it briefly tomorrow, hoping to help you

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is a very effective way to find out -- another good way to learn, thanks.

I rarely use 4 PAWS because it takes too much time to clamp, so I try to make the 3 PAWS more centered.

However, if the accuracy requirement is very high, must be 4 claws to do precision.

I'm not sure you can appreciate the humour @a smile, but I think you wrote that specifically for me! I smiled and laughed and then laughed some more!

If you research sasquatch you might see the joke! I have claws and paws, but chucks have jaws not really paws. This has to be one one of the funniest translation things I've seen in a while! It's gunna show up all over the place from now on! This crowd loves a good laugh!

The joke is all on me of course!

And if you did it on purpose, it's even funnier!

Is this a picture of you? I like to see my real mechanical friends -- handsome little old men ----

I have a slightly faster method, which can achieve a fast and more accurate way to find the center. It is difficult to describe the whole language. I will send another post to explain it briefly tomorrow, hoping to help you
Perhaps not the best picture of me, but yes, that ugly mug is mine. :oops::p