• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Truing a L0 chuck spindle bore

Ian Moss

Just bought a 14" four jaw chuck that just fits my nominally 14" Celtic Mondiale lathe with an L0 spindle. The chuck is used, and it looks like the previous owner didn't bother to clean the spindle and bore many times. The chuck body is a one piece casting. The L0 taper bore has lots of compression divots from compressing chips between the bore and spindle. I suspect that if one had a "master" L0, some dykem to expose high spots, a little judicious scraping would make the thing right. The chuck is VERY heavy or I would try removing the key on the spindle and using that, but the chuck body with all the moving parts removed still weighs 80 lbs. Too much for this 78 yo. to handle. I have a home built articulated boom crane I use for mounting my chucks and mill vise.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just bought a 14" four jaw chuck that just fits my nominally 14" Celtic Mondiale lathe with an L0 spindle. The chuck is used, and it looks like the previous owner didn't bother to clean the spindle and bore many times. The chuck body is a one piece casting. The L0 taper bore has lots of compression divots from compressing chips between the bore and spindle. I suspect that if one had a "master" L0, some dykem to expose high spots, a little judicious scraping would make the thing right. The chuck is VERY heavy or I would try removing the key on the spindle and using that, but the chuck body with all the moving parts removed still weighs 80 lbs. Too much for this 78 yo. to handle. I have a home built articulated boom crane I use for mounting my chucks and mill vise.

You have a few years on me. I sympathize with your challenges. Not sure what I would do if my lathe was that big.

Regarding the surface mating marks, have you evaluated just how much they interfere? Sometimes such things look much worse than they are. A little judicious stoning might be all that is needed.

Ian Moss

Perhaps you are right. But stoning concave surfaces would be challenging. It occurred to me, as I drifted off last night, that perhaps I could ink up the bore and sweep the surface with a ...say 1/2 in. dia. drill rod and see if any high spots show up.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Perhaps you are right. But stoning concave surfaces would be challenging. It occurred to me, as I drifted off last night, that perhaps I could ink up the bore and sweep the surface with a ...say 1/2 in. dia. drill rod and see if any high spots show up.

Or perhaps a long nose dial indicator. It would take some setup but I think it could be done. This might allow you to check the whole taper top to bottom.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Ian, If decided it had to be done, I'd scrape as you suggest, and do so to remove the high spots around the dings inside the bore. Turn a piece of CI and spot from that, aside from the weight issue, harden steel prints poorly. Possibly done in conjunction with regrinding the spindle.

I'd have to be really really convinced though that it was worth it. My DSG and D16tooling has the battlescars of use by sloppy hands, but I popped a rubberflex chuck on it the other day, 2 tenths runout in two planes about 3 inches apart. Just saying, if you are not seeing real performance negatives, might ok to leave it

Last edited:

Ian Moss

I am being picky of course. I get 0.004 face runout and .002 radial runout......on a four jaw chuck one probably will never find it an issue. Just a solution looking for a problem I guess.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Ian Moss How about a very easy test: Chuck a 2" or so bar into your normal chuck. if it is uneven, turn it to round... Then mount your new chuck onto the arbor, dialing it in closely - tenths aren't needed but +/- one thou might be nice)

Spin your chuck assembly by hand, feeling with your finger the contours of the taper. Your fingers can easily discern .001 imperfections, and this 'map' will tell you just how much work you have to do.

You can also radially stone using this setup, using an ultra fine round stone, to nick off any really bad high spots, if you can gear down to below 60RPM...

A similar setup, dialed in to tenths, can also be used to refresh the taper using a TPG...

Personally I wouldn't get too agressive using this technique, but getting the worst of the volcanoes off the taper will preserve your lathe's L0 taper.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It just occurred to me that you might not have tried ablative die stones: they take the general shape of the thing you are stoning. I used to have several, but I think they are all used up now. To stone a concave surface with one, you stone the high spots lightly, which knock off the edges, and you slowly mold the stone to the shape you need, while taking down the high spots. Once it has the general curve, you preserve it by moving the high spot across the curved surface of the stone.

Ian Moss

@Ian Moss How about a very easy test: Chuck a 2" or so bar into your normal chuck. if it is uneven, turn it to round... Then mount your new chuck onto the arbor, dialing it in closely - tenths aren't needed but +/- one thou might be nice)

Spin your chuck assembly by hand, feeling with your finger the contours of the taper. Your fingers can easily discern .001 imperfections, and this 'map' will tell you just how much work you have to do.

You can also radially stone using this setup, using an ultra fine round stone, to nick off any really bad high spots, if you can gear down to below 60RPM...

A similar setup, dialed in to tenths, can also be used to refresh the taper using a TPG...

Personally I wouldn't get too agressive using this technique, but getting the worst of the volcanoes off the taper will preserve your lathe's L0 taper.
Excellent idea. I will have to give it a quick try to see how true I can get it to run. Tried to Google "ablative die stones" but Google has no matches.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
try

product # 405-2065, a selection of 8 stones in various sizes and grits for 55$

These stones are soft for stoning tapers.

You set the approximate shape on your belt sander, and lightly stone your high areas, and the stone will slowly adopt the curvature required. in a large taper like a L0, I start at 45 degrees, at the large end and slowly work my way in to the small end.

-- the are now called 'moldmakers' stones...