• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Truing 3J chuck jaws - another thread

Chipper5783

I’ve had this chuck a long time, the gripping section is getting a bit uneven. The jaws were bell mouthed ~0.003” radially. After watching Robin’s video, I felt I could do that.

As has been much discussed, the biggest challenge can be setting up the loading arrangement. There are a few options. Since I have two piece jaws, I made a ring that uses the inner jaws bolts. The project took a bit of thinking. I was concerned about making the ring too stiff and would not mimic typical jaw deflection (per Robin’s comments) - I ended up skimming the ring down thinner than the initial version.

The actual cutting was pretty straightforward. I simply a purchased a TBC insert ($8) for my 1/2” carbide BB. I ended up removing 0.006” radially, which cleaned the gripping surface to about 95% pristine. TIR just under 0.002”. I still have to clean everything up - pretty happy with the result.

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 17

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Nice work! I haven't measured my little myford 3 jaw, but its pretty brutal. Maybe this project should be added to the docket.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
DeeDee has a slightly different setup but I think equivalent. (Video is a bit longwinded). He has some nice iron in his cramped little shop.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I’ve had this chuck a long time, the gripping section is getting a bit uneven. The jaws were bell mouthed ~0.003” radially. After watching Robin’s video, I felt I could do that.

As has been much discussed, the biggest challenge can be setting up the loading arrangement. There are a few options. Since I have two piece jaws, I made a ring that uses the inner jaws bolts. The project took a bit of thinking. I was concerned about making the ring too stiff and would not mimic typical jaw deflection (per Robin’s comments) - I ended up skimming the ring down thinner than the initial version.

The actual cutting was pretty straightforward. I simply a purchased a TBC insert ($8) for my 1/2” carbide BB. I ended up removing 0.006” radially, which cleaned the gripping surface to about 95% pristine. TIR just under 0.002”. I still have to clean everything up - pretty happy with the result.

It's a perfect design, but it requires a lot of work and a lot of patience, but I like ---- thank you for the solution