• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Trouble Getting Going in Fusion

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
One of the problems I'm having right now is figuring out how to combine and split entities. For some reason, Fusion joined four of them into one. I need to split them into four, and then combine them into just two. But I cant figure out how to split or combine them. I found the two commands easily enough, but it won't let me select what I want. It wants to select everything,

20230311_155710.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Do you mean interesting or entertaining?

Hopefully both. I love learning new things and I love a good laugh on myself too!

Both. Especially if you have issues where I had issues.

As far as combining and splitting, this is USUALLY an easy process. Just be methodical. Plenty of tutorials on autodesk's site and youtube.

In fact really there are plenty of channels to help you. Something like learn fusion in 30 days is good, because it builds upon the basics. You at least need to learn sketching and constraints very well because if you don't when things get more complex you get errors that screw you, like a house on poor foundation, your design will come crashing down.

parametrics are all based on good constrained but not overly constrained sketches.

Oh and learn how to lock sketches so you dont inadvertently drag elements. That plagued me and still does at times. Because I use my touch pad and it is fussy

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
For some reason, Fusion joined four of them into one.
It looks like you’re extruding sketches.

When you extrude a sketch, if it intersects another body then Fusion will either join them, or use the extrude to cut.
You can override this behaviour in the extrude options.
Alternatively, turn off the first body before you do the extrude for the subsequent body.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You can override this behaviour in the extrude options.
Adding to this when extruding you can join, cut, or make a new body. Also you can go back and edit the extrude in the time line - in the bottom - and change the extrude to create a new body.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For example here is a back in time extrude edit.

This could work!

I've watched a few videos on splitting and got nowhere except hating YouTube even more. Wasted another huge chunk of what life I have left. I almost decided to junk Fusion over it.

I think you guys are infinitely better teachers than youtube. I'll try it as soon as I can get back upstairs to my computer.

So quick question - do I go back to when I created the sketch for the second entity or back to when I extruded it?

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
dont fret, you can split your model into two bodies somewhat easily without going back in the history, under the modify tab you use "split body"

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
dont fret, you can split your model into two bodies somewhat easily without going back in the history, under the modify tab you use "split body

That's pretty easy and that's exactly what I tried to do. The first problem I encountered was selecting more than one Splitting tool. It didn't like that. The second problem was selecting the Extend Splitting Tool(s). It didn't like that either.

I got around all that by selecting surfaces on the second body instead of the first body.

But when I press ok, I get an error with no explanation.

One of the differences is that I made my right body using two overlapping sketches, then extruded that, then chamfered right part to get the Lathe Way.

I made the left body (the lathe stop that is the subject of this project) using your method of individual lines.

Perhaps I should start over.

But I want to try @Janger s suggestion first.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok, I tried going back in history to when I made the second sketch. Unfortunately, there is no option to create new body. If I hit finish sketch it's over.

One thing I notice though. The inside corners don't have a "T" reference on them. I assume that's a sketch point from the line draw tool. So it should be there.

20230312_113954.jpg

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
hit finish sketch, then extrude your new shape, one of the options is "new body" instead of join or cut in the extrude menu

i have also been able to replicate your problem, im pretty sure i understand what you were doing, and have found 2 solutions...the split lines need to connect, i dont know why, they just do

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
hit finish sketch, then extrude your new shape, one of the options is "new body" instead of join or cut in the extrude menu

i have also been able to replicate your problem, im pretty sure i understand what you were doing, and have found 2 solutions...the split lines need to connect, i dont know why, they just do

what program do you use for the screen capture of fusion?