• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Triumph GT6 4 speed manual transmission case crack repair

John Conroy

Premium Member
A friend of mine is restoring a 1968 Triumph GT6 and noticed a crack in the transmission case that runs from the top of the rear mainshaft bore to the top gasket surface. The case is cast iron and I am not the right guy to be attempting the crack repair but told him I could machine the repaired surfaces flat after the crack was repaired. We enlisted the help of forum member Proulx who had demonstrated his cast iron brazing skills to me on another project we tackled together. This is the only pic I have of the crack before repair but the red oval indicates where it was.

This is after the braze repair made by Proulx

After the rear and top of the case were milled flat. I did the rear face with my giant flycutter and the top with a 1" insert type end mill and finished it by drawfiling.

Stellrammer

If the crack of doom doesn’t hold up or the input shaft is knackerd I have spare cases and input shafts that I would part with. They don’t hold up well when driven in anger or running non rotoflex axles.