• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Travers sale flyer through Feb-28

John Conroy

Premium Member
Last time I tried to buy something from Travers Canadian they told me they had listed the item wrong and the price was really in US dollars. I haven't bought anything from them since. I'm sure it's not an intentional bait and switch but they can't see to get their act together on pricing.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I remember you mentioning that now. I agree, confusing.

Here is the bookmark I keep which is traverscanada dot com (as opposed to first link travers dot com). Shows 167.67 CAD. But I seem to recall a similar issue on some order when I called them & they changed some default switch? I used to get sent both USA & CDN flyers, now I only get CDN. I dont typically order from them a lot but I'll have to confirm invoice to ensure it is what its supposed to be.

https://www.traverscanada.com/precision-dormer-jobbers-length-twist-drill-set/p/01-300-381/sc/-NB/

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry I don't have any direct Cle-Line experience. I've heard they are good but also heard country of origin varies by set. This link says owned by Chinese but made in USA. The plot thickens. Opinions seem to vary & of course what Americans have access to & what they pay is often different than us.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/drill-drill-bit-manufacturers-made-u-s-322585/

I can tell you my (uncoated HSS) Precision Twists have stood up very well. They still cut my fingers when I pull them out wrong haha. I use them interchangeably in steel & aluminum. However I bought them >10 years ago so if they have similarly farmed out to offshore manufacturing switch-a-roo I wouldn't have know about it. And there are examples of made in a different country but still same standards so who knows. I buy the odd replacement & they seem comparable.

I was Googling drills recently because I wanted a decent progressive set dedicated tip dubbing (for brass & bronze). The KBC brand which I believe were eastern block were 'ok', not bad but not awesome. I've also used some really nice drills like Guhring but were bought onsey-twosey usually metric or aluminum flute special sizes, not a set.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I got lucky a couple of years ago and bought a full set of Dormer bits at a garage sale. Fractional, letter and number sets pus a Starrett and 2 Brown and Sharp v blocks and a Moore and Wright multi-square. All for $100.

P5161010_zpsea12cgia.jpg P5161003_zpsfmvhihha.jpg P5161002_zpsm056uyrd.jpg