• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Toys I never knew I needed

DaveMc

My first shop was the galley table of our 28 foot sailboat. I figured out how to laminate brass shim stock to art paper, linen
and mat board for a model of the Harbour Ferries I was driving. Later on I had access to a real shop and made some aluminum
forms and cutters. The laminate was easy to cut and glue into just about any shape. The ferries have no bulkheads so it was tough
to get the shape right before the aluminum forms, which were my first serious attempt to make anything out of metal. With the metal core and
acrylic on linen the finished model is similar to a three dimensional painting. Music wire runs through the details like tiny rebar.
Windows are Mylar, guaranteed not to yellow for a more than a hundred years. There are sixteen of them out there

Attachments

• (035)PANGEA.jpg
    (035)PANGEA.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 15
  • older model 003.jpg
    older model 003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4921.jpg
    IMG_4921.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5985.jpg
    IMG_5985.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 16
My first shop was the galley table of our 28 foot sailboat. I figured out how to laminate brass shim stock to art paper, linen
and mat board for a model of the Harbour Ferries I was driving. Later on I had access to a real shop and made some aluminum
forms and cutters. The laminate was easy to cut and glue into just about any shape. The ferries have no bulkheads so it was tough
to get the shape right before the aluminum forms, which were my first serious attempt to make anything out of metal. With the metal core and
acrylic on linen the finished model is similar to a three dimensional painting. Music wire runs through the details like tiny rebar.
Windows are Mylar, guaranteed not to yellow for a more than a hundred years. There are sixteen of them out there
Very nice work, beyond that, I am speechless. Very nice. :)

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Beautiful models.
Is that the "Pangea" that is/was tied up at West Bay?
Did you build your toolbox as well?

DaveMc

Very nice work, beyond that, I am speechless. Very nice. :)
Thank you Don, I am delighted to hear that, especially on this forum. I feel a little out of my depth here as I am not much of a machinist.
Beautiful models.
Is that the "Pangea" that is/was tied up at West Bay?
Did you build your toolbox as well?
Hi Mike

West Bay Marina was home for thirty years. Sold Pangea to a sailor in Sydney who plans to do what we never quite managed, take her
offshore where she belongs.
The toolbox was a gift from a fellow Harbour Ferry driver whose brother in Florida built it and left it to him when he died.
If you are familiar with the boat we may have crossed paths at some time or know people in common.
I am an outside security guard Monday to Thursday afternoons at the Ministry of Health if you are ever in the neighborhood.