Product TouchDRO 'how-to' video released

Product

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
To be specific, the OS bug is for Samsung Android OS 12. I'm happily running Lenovo OS 12 on my tablet.

I believe you can run the App. on Kindle tablets as well so maybe the grand kids may not be so interested in playing with it. ;) I may have seen that in the TouchDRO forum on Hobby-Machinist.

D :cool:

Kindle tablet might be the way to go then. I just finished checking every tablet in the house. Every single last one of them is v13. Even my old phone is 13. It's prolly my fault. I am a stickler for keeping things updated to prevent hacking.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
To be specific, the OS bug is for Samsung Android OS 12. I'm happily running Lenovo OS 12 on my tablet.

Hey @technico. Do you know if OS13 fixes it? I installed Touchdro on my OS13 phone. No scales yet, or even an interface box, but seems to work ok. What is the bug all about anyway?

Is your Touch system one of the new ones with RPM and the Z-set function in it? If so, did you set up RPM on it and how is that wired?

In my wanderings, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be an external connector for RPM or a Setter. Do you have to add one?

What is the angular axis all about? Any chance that is a lathe compound?

I noticed you can get a box that will input igaging scales. Is there any chance you can mix them with magnetic scales? If so, it would make a tailstock quill much more practical!

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @technico. Do you know if OS13 fixes it? I installed Touchdro on my OS13 phone. No scales yet, or even an interface box, but seems to work ok. What is the bug all about anyway?

Is your Touch system one of the new ones with RPM and the Z-set function in it? If so, did you set up RPM on it and how is that wired?

In my wanderings, I noticed that there doesn't seem to be an external connector for RPM or a Setter. Do you have to add one?

I noticed you can get a box that will input igaging scales. Is there any chance you can mix them with magnetic scales? If so, it would make a tailstock quill much more practical!
Pop over to the TouchDRO site to read about the issue. Without scales you won’t see the problem.

Tecnico

(Dave)

Hi @Susquatch

The Samsung bug applies to OS13 as well, I expect if there's any change it'll show up on the TouchDRO System Requirements Page.

The bug is described in detail in a couple of threads on Hobby-Machinist Help: Bitten by Samsung bug and V3 (TouchDRO) Freezing but basically the Bluetooth connection drops for about a half second every so often so the display does not update until it comes back. I see that it does revert to the correct position once it comes back though. That makes sense because it's the tablet dropping out, not the scale adapter.

To me it looks like you could use the Samsungs to install your system and get to know it but you might find some overshoots turn up because of the drop outs.

My installation has the ability to display RPM but so far that's Project 42, level b. I have VFDs on my machines (Vee belt Flipping Drives) so I can calibrate the speeds once and unless the frequency of the transmission grid changes I won't need a real time display. ;)

When you speak of Z-set I think you're referring to the Probe input. It is the function we talked about off-line where closing a switch (wired electronic probe) tells TouchDRO where the datum edge is located (accounting for probe dimensions). That is available on all 3 axes. I have the U-solder DIY DRO Adapter Kit, there are X, Y, Z and W limit inputs on the pre-stuffed boards that @David_R8 has which I don't, I'm not sure what they are used for though perhaps David can fill in details.

The external connectors for the RPM and Probe inputs are not supplied with the kits, I'm thinking a simple coaxial connector would be suitable. I left room on my Hammond cases for expansion.

The angular axis allows you to connect a rotary encoder having the same type of quadrature data stream as the linear scales. Sounds good if you want to put one on your dividing head or rotary table. I assume you'd use your W axis input for that. I suppose you could graft an encoder onto the compound, that would be cool to have.

With what I read about igauging I don't think I would want to go there. The scale adapters for glass/mag and igauging are different beasts, see Scale Adapter Options. If I wanted to put a scale on my tailstock I think I'd make up another tape scale rather than mess with other unknowns. When I really need to know, so far I have just put a DRO (Dial indicator Read Out) on mine. ;)

That should keep you out of trouble (and the missus' hair) for a while!

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So far as I know you cannot combine glass/magnetic scales and iGaging scales on the same adapter.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I've never seen an import DRO display that would take glass/magnetic scales and iGaging scales. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?
sorry no, I misunderstood what you meant.

No DRO that I know of will take igaging and another scale type, whereas glass and magnetic can easily be combined on a system.

Personally, based on what I now know, I'd only ever use long glass scales for lathe beds, and magnetic scales and tape for everything else. I had igaging scales on our old mill, I hated them

Tecnico

(Dave)
sorry no, I misunderstood what you meant.

No DRO that I know of will take igaging and another scale type, whereas glass and magnetic can easily be combined on a system.

Personally, based on what I now know, I'd only ever use long glass scales for lathe beds, and magnetic scales and tape for everything else. I had igaging scales on our old mill, I hated them
@TorontoBuilder I'm curious, why mag scales for most places? They're more expensive and more likely to attract ferrous debris. Mounting might be easier but once it's done, it's done.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
@TorontoBuilder I'm curious, why mag scales for most places? They're more expensive and more likely to attract ferrous debris. Mounting might be easier but once it's done, it's done.

Compactness and Durability.

I'd buy magnetic tape, it is far cheaper than scales. A magnetic tape set into a milled channel and then covered in epoxy will be pretty much indestructible. Especially if you choose ceramic filled epoxy. In many cases magnetic tape can be simply stuck to the machine and covered with the steel tape. In other cases you're likely better off making your own mount for tape versus buying a scale.

I just wish I could mill a channel directly into the bedway of the lathe to be able to embed a tape there...

That said, sometimes a glass scale is ok such as the rear mounted long axis of a lathe..

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@technico @David_R8 @TorontoBuilder

I read on Yuri's website that the each input on the non-encased board can be individually configured for the scale type. As opposed to the assembled version where you set one type for all. Maybe I misread that, but that's my impression.

I'm not a fan of the Igaging stuff either, but everything has its niche. The quill on my tailstock can turn a wee bit within the limits of the keyway. That makes it difficult to do a regular magnetic install. The Igaging stuff uses a rod inside a scale reader. I THINK that would be more tolerant of the rotation. I confess I have not thought it through fully yet. I'm just looking at all the possible scenarios before narrowing down the options.

I confess that the touch dro screen looks amazing - even on my phone! I imagine it will be even nicer on a tablet.

Regarding os12/13. I didn't realize that the problem was Bluetooth. I had the almost identical situation on my tractor gps guidance system. I installed a separate Bluetooth driver that by-passes the OS (sort of like spoofing the gps hardware) and that solved the problem. I have to wonder if that would work here too.

I'm thinking about getting a touch dro for my surface grinder (even before getting a Ditron for my lathe) Then I could try it and find out.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@technico @David_R8 @TorontoBuilder

I read on Yuri's website that the each input on the non-encased board can be individually configured for the scale type. As opposed to the assembled version where you set one type for all. Maybe I misread that, but that's my impression.
I didn't really consider the non-encased board as I wasn't confident in my ability to put the thing together. But if you can put DB-9 and the iGaging style connectors on the same board then I assume there would be some config to do to so the processor knows what to expect. (my technical limitations are showing)

Tecnico

(Dave)
Compactness and Durability.

I'd buy magnetic tape, it is far cheaper than scales. A magnetic tape set into a milled channel and then covered in epoxy will be pretty much indestructible. Especially if you choose ceramic filled epoxy. In many cases magnetic tape can be simply stuck to the machine and covered with the steel tape. In other cases you're likely better off making your own mount for tape versus buying a scale.

I just wish I could mill a channel directly into the bedway of the lathe to be able to embed a tape there...

That said, sometimes a glass scale is ok such as the rear mounted long axis of a lathe..

My experience was different.

The glass scales were about half of the price of the mag head + tape. The mag plus tape was the most expensive, basically it was pay for a mag scale then add on the price of the tape.

All this was from Ditron.

I think we're looking at reliability a bit differently too but that's OK. I'll agree about the compactness though but in the cases where I went with glass scales it didn't matter.

Cool that there are many ways to approach it!

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
@tecnico @David_R8 @TorontoBuilder

Regarding os12/13. I didn't realize that the problem was Bluetooth. I had the almost identical situation on my tractor gps guidance system. I installed a separate Bluetooth driver that by-passes the OS (sort of like spoofing the gps hardware) and that solved the problem. I have to wonder if that would work here too..

I didn't really consider the non-encased board as I wasn't confident in my ability to put the thing together. But if you can put DB-9 and the iGaging style connectors on the same board then I assume there would be some config to do to so the processor knows what to expect. (my technical limitations are showing)

@Susquatch , you are correct. The U-solder board kit ("DIY Kit") which I have can be configured for glass/mag or capacitive (igauging) scales by choosing the 5V or 3.3V power jumper positions. @David_R8, I don't know if there are any other settings because I used mag/glass scales.

@Susquatch Interesting about your experience with the Samsung OS & GPS Bluetooth, you might want to engage Yuriy about that, it might be a solution to the problem and make a lot of people happy. He responds well on Hobby-Machinist or E-mail.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch , you are correct. The U-solder board kit ("DIY Kit") which I have can be configured for glass/mag or capacitive (igauging) scales by choosing the 5V or 3.3V power jumper positions. @David_R8, I don't know if there are any other settings because I used mag/glass scales.

@Susquatch Interesting about your experience with the Samsung OS & GPS Bluetooth, you might want to engage Yuriy about that, it might be a solution to the problem and make a lot of people happy. He responds well on Hobby-Machinist or E-mail.

When you say it can be configured to 3 or 5, is that per individual input or for the whole bank with one jumper. That's really the question.

I will reach out to Yurih. I am a member on hobby machinist but I don't visit very often. I like all the scruffy guys on here better cuz they don't care how ugly I am and don't give me much grief over my dumb sense of humour......

Regarding magnetic vs glass. I think the price premium F ok r magnetic is temporary. It has to be cheaper to make magnetic vs etching glass. Once the supply of magnetic crosses over the supply of glass, I'd bet big bucks that the price differential goes away.

There is a nice review of both on DRO Pros. I know they are partial, but many of the points they make are valid. It's worth a quick read.

In practice, contrary to the claims, I have found that the magnetic scales do attract a little metallic dust. But it is very easily vacuumed off. Even fully exposed, steel has not been a problem because the sensor wipers simply push it away until it can be vacuumed up.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
My experience was different.

The glass scales were about half of the price of the mag head + tape. The mag plus tape was the most expensive, basically it was pay for a mag scale then add on the price of the tape.

All this was from Ditron.

I think we're looking at reliability a bit differently too but that's OK. I'll agree about the compactness though but in the cases where I went with glass scales it didn't matter.

Cool that there are many ways to approach it!

but what resolution of each... i got fantastic deal on mag heads and tape that have 1 micron resolution

Tecnico

(Dave)
When you say it can be configured to 3 or 5, is that per individual input or for the whole bank with one jumper. That's really the question.
That's per scale. It's just the placement of a (soldered in) jumper. In hindsight the jumper could be turned into a moveable plug by mounting pins in the .100" centred holes.

I will reach out to Yurih. I am a member on hobby machinist but I don't visit very often. I like all the scruffy guys on here better cuz they don't care how ugly I am and don't give me much grief over my dumb sense of humour......

LOL! we're Canadian, we get it!