Product TouchDRO 'how-to' video released

Product

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I like this system. I think I would have gone this way if I had known better back when I got my Ditron. Not that I am unhappy with the Ditron. I actually like it very much. But I like the configurability and upgradeability of the touch system. But I'm not at all sure that I like the idea of moving a tablet around from one Machine to another.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I like this system. I think I would have gone this way if I had known better back when I got my Ditron. Not that I am unhappy with the Ditron. I actually like it very much. But I like the configurability and upgradeability of the touch system. But I'm not at all sure that I like the idea of moving a tablet around from one Machine to another.
For the price of a used tablet, one wouldn't have to move them around.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For the price of a used tablet, one wouldn't have to move them around.

Ya, I know that. I was really only saying that being able to share a tablet is not an advantage in my eyes.

I've been reading the manuals before falling asleep. I really like the system and the whole concept. It reminds me of something I would like to have done myself many years ago.

I'm thinking about a vertical dro on my surface grinder. The crank has a crap load of backlash. It would be great to see where you really are. Sneaking up on a dimension is a royal PIA.

I'd use a simple single axis system but tenths matter too much to trust that on a surface grinder.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Ya, I know that. I was really only saying that being able to share a tablet is not an advantage in my eyes.

I've been reading the manuals before falling asleep. I really like the system and the whole concept. It reminds me of something I would like to have done myself many years ago.

I'm thinking about a vertical dro on my surface grinder. The crank has a crap load of backlash. It would be great to see where you really are. Sneaking up on a dimension is a royal PIA.

I'd use a simple single axis system but tenths matter too much to trust that on a surface grinder.
one tablet to rule them all... I like it.

yeah I'm cheap

DRO on the vertical axis if SG is the way to go

Tecnico

(Dave)
mine will definitely have to move but this is not an issue.

Just to pipe up here on my experience, I have been moving my tablet between mill in my out building and the lathe in the basement and physically it's a matter of sliding it into a slot for my lathe (picture elsewhere) or snapping it into the AliEx cheapie mount on the mill, no problem although I'm still contemplating making the mill slide in as well. Project 42b.

The cheapie mount could be more rigid but it comes with a ball & socket so I can rotate it to portrait if I want. Both are on swing arms for positioning and I use the mill arm to hold the drawing I'm working to. Both accommodate the tablet in its fold-over cover.

As far as changing machine-to-machine for the App., it's just changing to the config. and switching Bluetooth connection, a few taps. The Bluetooth doesn't always switch correctly and needs a re-try but it does work and if you leave the adapter electronics powered it knows where you are from last time.

Being somewhat close to my cash like @TorontoBuilder I will carry on with one tablet, in fact I don't plan to leave the tablet in the outside shop because it's only heated when I'm working so that point is really moot.

I typically run the tablet off the battery and charge between jobs so there is no dragging a power adapter around either.

Back to mounting that Z scale........

D :cool:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Just to pipe up here on my experience, I have been moving my tablet between mill in my out building and the lathe in the basement and physically it's a matter of sliding it into a slot for my lathe (picture elsewhere) or snapping it into the AliEx cheapie mount on the mill, no problem although I'm still contemplating making the mill slide in as well. Project 42b.

The cheapie mount could be more rigid but it comes with a ball & socket so I can rotate it to portrait if I want. Both are on swing arms for positioning and I use the mill arm to hold the drawing I'm working to. Both accommodate the tablet in its fold-over cover.

As far as changing machine-to-machine for the App., it's just changing to the config. and switching Bluetooth connection, a few taps. The Bluetooth doesn't always switch correctly and needs a re-try but it does work and if you leave the adapter electronics powered it knows where you are from last time.

Being somewhat close to my cash like @TorontoBuilder I will carry on with one tablet, in fact I don't plan to leave the tablet in the outside shop because it's only heated when I'm working so that point is really moot.

I typically run the tablet off the battery and charge between jobs so there is no dragging a power adapter around either.

Back to mounting that Z scale........

I tend to use external batteries so my tablet battery life is extended, but otherwise I'll be doing just as you are

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Tecnico & @TorontoBuilder

Normally, I'm as cheap as the cheapest SOB that ever lived.

But I treasure convenience very highly. I want both display units to be on at the same time and I want to be able to switch back and forth between the mill and the lathe seamlessly. I won't actually use both simultaneously because I'll never have cnc, but each must remember its settings and xyz positions. If I can do that, then I am on board.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

But I treasure convenience very highly. I want both display units to be on at the same time and I want to be able to switch back and forth between the mill and the lathe seamlessly. I won't actually use both simultaneously because I'll never have cnc, but each must remember its settings and xyz positions. If I can do that, then I am on board.
plenty of cheap tablets available too... the beauty of touch DRO... are the options

Tecnico

(Dave)

I've found that as long as you keep power to the scale adapter board it keeps position.

I'll keep an eye on it to build the knowledge base.

That said, if a bargain comes your way on tablets then why not have a tablet on every piece of machinery.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've found that as long as you keep power to the scale adapter board it keeps position.

I'll keep an eye on it to build the knowledge base.

That said, if a bargain comes your way on tablets then why not have a tablet on every piece of machinery.

Yes, I am aware of that. My biggest problem around here is competition. The minute a tablet shows up around here, the bride scoops it for the grandkids. They promptly smash it to smitherines rough housing with each other and then want a newer one. Then the bride narrows her eyes and gives me "the look"...

But I think I could make a custom case for one that she would have no idea had a tablet in it.

I am going to get a Ditron for the lathe though cuz I don't want it to work differently from the mill. The surface grinder is an option.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry I added Kindle inadvertently as I think of Kindle and Amazon Fire as sort of the same when they aren't the same...

Good stuff David.

Your link points out that android 12 and newer have an OS bug that prevents the touch dro system from working properly. That puts a wrinkle in it that I didn't anticipate.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Good stuff David.

Your link points out that android 12 and newer have an OS bug that prevents the touch dro system from working properly. That puts a wrinkle in it that I didn't anticipate.

To be specific, the OS bug is for Samsung Android OS 12. I'm happily running Lenovo OS 12 on my tablet.

I believe you can run the App. on old Kindle tablets as well so maybe the grand kids may not be so interested in playing with it. ;) I may have seen that in the TouchDRO forum on Hobby-Machinist.

EDIT: Yuriy's Kindle Test:

Last edited: