Shop Totally rearranged the shop... and moved every last piece of equipment

Shop

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Gantry cranes have wheels but you're not supposed to move them under a load.
I lock the wheels, lift the load, slide the load as far as it will go, drop it, unlock the wheels and move the gantry. Repeat. Most of my machines get 4-5 feet per pass. That's pretty quick compared to rollers.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I ran an errand today from the east end to the extreme west end of Toronto, by the airport, and then downtown and then back home....

I ended up more tired than the day I moved this lathe. Toronto traffic is soul crushing.

I ran an errand today from the east end to the extreme west end of Toronto, by the airport, and then downtown and then back home....

I ended up more tired than the day I moved this lathe. Toronto traffic is soul crushing.
Well, so I used to think. Manhattan is way worse, my wife's comment was after our trip in Oct. she won't ever complain about T.O. traffic again. Want add insult to injury T.O. Parking is stupid expensive enough, but Manhattan is $85.00 for 3hrs.o_O

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Well, so I used to think. Manhattan is way worse, my wife's comment was after our trip in Oct. she won't ever complain about T.O. traffic again. Want add insult to injury T.O. Parking is stupid expensive enough, but Manhattan is $85.00 for 3hrs.o_O
Hey there Buddy, that is why taxis are all over, they don’t park.

My wife was in Manhattan last month for meetings at the Empire State Bldg.
Traffic is much worse there, but she did get to see the ‘Big Tree’ at Rockefeller Square.

Merry Christmas !!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
in
It dropped on my foot. It missed the steel toe entirely and hit me in the top of the arch with only the tongue of the shoe for protection.

The irony is I was forced to wear the steel toe shoes due to the venue, but my heavy boots would have afforded much more protection to the upper arch area. Just a minor bump and abrasion...
increasingly sites are requiring metatarsal boots with protection on top for the metatarsal bones. Good idea, but those boots you spend all day picking up and puting down just got heavier! Glad it wasn't serious.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
in

increasingly sitres are requiring metatarsal's, boots with protection on top for the metatarsal bones. Good idea, but those boots you spend all day picking up and puting down just got heavier! Glad it wasn't serious.
I only got minor swelling, slight bruising and abraded skin, trivial really. I could not imagine wearing heavier shoes or boots all day. I have wide feet that already dont fit in steel toes shoes so I get blisters on the side of my big toe...

I only got minor swelling, slight bruising and abraded skin, trivial really. I could not imagine wearing heavier shoes or boots all day. I have wide feet that already dont fit in steel toes shoes so I get blisters on the side of my big toe...
Just replaced my Green patch shoes for the shop. Nice wide toe box, there are options just $$$.

@LenVW unfortunately for us we where stay outside of town and travelling before and after. Taxis or the like was not an option. On that day alone we did 350km of which 70km was Manhattan and back. I was surprised tolls despite all we took was only $10.00 total. Compared to the 407 you just look at it and it costs you $10.00, drive on it and :oops:. I also now have an EZ-Pass for the US toll roads.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I hope I'm not in trouble with the union shop steward.

1ai_rCqqK51qEuprTbmLS-yTFrkSh35-SUocSr59fIplFgdY7xtb-LthnF9RKKQYfRxL0sSPF6VF__BSVDLZm0HK20D7yv_xbUmTJhvy818AtxiR64RuD2-jKfyNEYiGbvpvKn6dGrkYjBMoA62RwFFLVGzWDCzJqw6udmHjVYpy16GMurRXRx6XtTigfVIfkb_206N7kA2o3hH6F6lWldNiNgSWAnfXLnEV76TIahZx28g62gGiYPw1RqoMBn3GNVdGQ_M9lT0HKhHC2w2yL7_P9S9YkwbVZjIFoEDzkjtVX70HpHkeq-kSI7mqNJ8cpeC2LpGqlRG5v-_YSW8TWgFEwD6nG1UN-tl3EXO74ENFGoUaIhciAplX1iE_b1evSqBPCfChQ_Ickc6LKpLMrsTKp4F_6SnqZ6T9mnlmnzow9smXQwuPl7zlxPmHuSovnhQP5aLqVmR4TALESx79fbFfE0d0_FVpbfO90XwogfW6x4oDTt_uf0QCqA6v1KUVvC2v1K2B0esY4R1K-3RKa4dZZVUcEsRleBHZbttSa1XpOnaJsih6vRhqWoVSuSXXobc7Auytrk8a2BsNRPQA_tVfiwZaeooFQwS1ChlRXITn0phFfGuQ_tcXkmM09ARHQb1LJBI6jiexQ500ijRPdpTm2wS7ujXJT5LNINfBFRijkibK8jpMH77hBQSKpenpM6waxowSm3QLz0x9K9tUmuxNpduBri7m_2KWGNEtJ-QMoxTIdnf94ke60JJRpee0Bd1-b2GDpd1hguSXtGKHi9Kh8OUpsWw76D2iXqbzwNxzr8XMvjFEUzMGKrJfbiUKgSQETW6_gG7-hBONekHnlwe1pDIKg1E2gzKjIrFGbzUKihwLK1QT0Gaql7Z4M-eeT2btQej-M7NtkOIe1w6eynrw4gjC6eDPmQDeAVUI94av978E=w568-h757-no

I'd hate to have worked in this garage over the past 4 years this lathe was sitting there locked out, given the diesel soot and oily residue that would also be in the employees lungs.

BUT it did act as a protective coating in a way... the lathe is cleaning up very well. Tomorrow if the weather is not too bad I'll wire a new plug on it and crank it up to modify the base on our old BXA tool post to fit the compound and then turn up a new countershaft for my chipmaster lathe. Then I'll turn up a bunch of roller cores to be covered in 90A hardness polyurethane.

I feel bad I didn't try to pick this lock in hindsight... I don't own any official lock out locks.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I bet you're the type who tears the tags off of mattress as well.

What is up with that lathe, I thought you had a colchester you were after? What about the one in the Hammer you were dragged out for?

So confused and just can't follow the bouncing ball.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I used to tear the tags off everything till my wife pointed out that I need them to know how to wash them. So I asked her if that's why all her hats still have the price tag still on...... LOL!

The Colchester fell through so they ended up getting the Craftex.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

What is up with that lathe, I thought you had a colchester you were after? What about the one in the Hammer you were dragged out for?

So confused and just can't follow the bouncing ball.
Ever hear of a stalking horse bid?

I believe that we were used just to set a price for the other person to buy that lathe for because neither of the other parties knew what was fair. We offered $5400 and it came with only the 3 jaw chuck and an old rusty 4 jaw chuck. The woman then never answered her cell phone when we called back. So we moved on.

We're still looking for a Colchester, but we needed a lathe in the interim so we bought this 1440 at auction for $3500 plus premium and tax. The lathe had been used only once at a durham transit garage. Then the only qualified employee went on disability leave for 18 months. No one else was qualified to use it so the management locked the lathe out... and it has sat ever since collecting grime.

We will sell it in a heartbeat if we find an appropriate colchester master 2500 or more modern student 2500

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
OH if anyone wants a hydraulic follower for a Colchester Master 2500 let me know. I want a lathe that has one but dont want to pay a premium for an attachment I'd never use or know how to use

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ever hear of a stalking horse bid?

Ive never heard that term. But I know the drill.

Went to a lot of trouble putting in a sealed bid on some farm land a while back. Had to get mortgage approvals, soil sample analysis, prepare a business case, pay a lawyer, etc etc. After I submitted the bid I found out it was sold to a relative of the seller who basically used me (and a few others) to set the price. My lawyer told me it happens all the time.

A similar sorta thing happens at auctions where a buddy of the seller pushes up the price.

Last edited:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A similar sorta thing happens at auctions where a buddy of the seller pushes up the price.
That is called shill bidding. Running up the price for a seller is an age old practice sometimes though the shill gets an item they don't want.:)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That is called shill bidding. Running up the price for a seller is an age old practice sometimes though the shill gets an item they don't want.:)

Another term I never heard before. But here, the "shill" doesn't suffer at all. The seller just keeps the item and pays the auctioneer's fees and commissions. As I understand it, it's the sellers way of avoiding the sale of a tractor worth 100k for 5k and losing 95k.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Another term I never heard before. But here, the "shill" doesn't suffer at all. The seller just keeps the item and pays the auctioneer's fees and commissions. As I understand it, it's the sellers way of avoiding the sale of a tractor worth 100k for 5k and losing 95k.
So, why doesn't the seller/auction house put in a reserve bid? Or is that a bad for promotion and advertising?