• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Torque screw driver options?

Tool

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I had a tooth replaced recently with a stud and cap, the dentist used a clicker type torque wrench to tighten the cap onto the stud. The biggest problem I've found with digital anything is the battery going dead at the most inopportune time.
So how tight is a tooth torque? How is recovery after having the screw base installed? I may need a few of these.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So how tight is a tooth torque? How is recovery after having the screw base installed? I may need a few of these.

They measure that in head pounds instead of foot pounds. They usually turn the stud instead of the cap too. That way it acts like a self tightening mechanism.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
So how tight is a tooth torque? How is recovery after having the screw base installed?
What is the torque? - I see the dentist next month and if I remember I'll ask him about the wrench. He showed it to me but that was about a year ago.
The entire process from extraction to new cap took almost a year. A couple of months for the after extraction to heal and about nine months for the implant (stud) to become part of my jaw before the cap could be put in place. The cap was put on over the implant and tiny cap screw was used to secure the cap to the implant. A little bit of filling to cover the head of the screw and we were done.

@eotrfish - do you actually use one assembling your reels?

I gotta get one of these just to have, when someone asks what it's for I can feed them some wild story about head pounds of torque and watch their head spin around. LOL

eotrfish

Super User
@eotrfish - do you actually use one assembling your reels?
Nope - I just took a photo when I had an implant installed last year. My dentist has all sorts of cool tools. You should see his digitizer - no more tooth trays full of glop.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
My dentist uses a type a of camera to map out the empty hole where the tooth fits, sends that to a porcelain printer and out comes a tooth. Your right, he does have some cool tools.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
About 20 years ago, my dentist asked me if I would be willing to do an interview with some journalists regarding a new digitizer he was getting to profile teeth for implants and crowns. I said sure. BAD MOVE.

A few weeks later I'm in the chair surrounded by cameras and microphones while this pretty young thing shoves this digitizer into my mouth and profiles my bite. The digitizer looked a lot like one of those "toys" you find in your brother's girlfriend's bathroom.

A few days later I'm barraged at work by lewd comments about the front page photo in the local newspaper.......

Not a good day, but definitely not my worst media experience either.

Susquatch. It sounds like you've had an interesting life.
I think everyone here would like to see the pic from the newspaper.!

On topic, I've read on a big rimfire forum that your torque being consistent is often more important than the absolute accuracy. You have the experience to concur or discount this, I'm just passing it on.
Thanks for the chuckle. Gotta start looking for a newspaper archive online!
Ken

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My life has been a blast. No complaints.

Torque has been a big part of it.

My opinion is that consistent torque is only important when distortion is a factor.

Accurate torque within specs is MUCH more important.

The most common reason for a torque spec is to ensure that the joint does not come loose with movement or force cycles.

I am a firm believer in a reasonably accurate torque wrench and torquing to specs.

The goldilocks & the three bears story should have been about torque not comfort.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
My old mans "torque wrench" was his arm & hand... If tight was good a "little bit more was better"....cant count how many times we had to use a pipe snipe to take something apart he had assembled (heavy equipment & farming machines.
I cant remember seeing a torque wrench on the place until i had to buy one when the govt. made torqueing wheel lug nuts mandatory or charges would be laid. It was noticed by more than a few of us that more wheels came off transports & hit the news after the Canadian Safety Council mandated the torque settings.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
My life has been a blast. No complaints.

Torque has been a big part of it.

My opinion is that consistent torque is only important when distortion is a factor.

Accurate torque within specs is MUCH more important.

The most common reason for a torque spec is to ensure that the joint does not come loose with movement or force cycles.

I am a firm believer in a reasonably accurate torque wrench and torquing to specs.

The goldilocks & the three bears story should have been about torque not comfort.
In a lot of cases, the German torque spec, Gudentite, is sufficient

Janger,
Did you ever decide on which torque driver/wrench to get?
Just curious what you decided on after all the suggestions and your own research.
Ken

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
I'm wondering what you got too. I picked up a Jet screw driver and am not too impressed with it. Seems to be real mushy when it hits the torque value. if your going to get one , get quality.

Chicken lights

I think I’m just gonna order a Snap On torque screwdriver, I looked at the other brands in this thread awhile ago and couldn’t make hide nor hair of their websites

5-40 inch pounds, click style, nothing fancy, might as well stay on Team Snap On :D

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think I’m just gonna order a Snap On torque screwdriver, I looked at the other brands in this thread awhile ago and couldn’t make hide nor hair of their websites

5-40 inch pounds, click style, nothing fancy, might as well stay on Team Snap On :D

Nothing wrong with that. About the only recommendation I have is to calibrate it so you have a good sense of how accurate it is and in which direction. If it's out, a little chart in the box or tray with the torque driver and you are good to go!

I only recommend that cuz we are talking little bitty screws here and expensive parts.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Last edited:

Chicken lights

Nothing wrong with that. About the only recommendation I have is to calibrate it so you have a good sense of how accurate it is and in which direction. If it's out, a little chart in the box or tray with the torque driver and you are good to go!

I only recommend that cuz we are talking little bitty screws here and expensive parts.
There’s no need to calibrate Team Snap On tools :D

Buy the best be the best :D

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I must disagree. Some snap off tools are not the best, i much prefer a set of SK Wayne wrenches over the Snap on wrenches. Better feel on the hands. Snap On also doesn't replace their Blue Point tools if they die.

I must disagree. Some snap off tools are not the best, i much prefer a set of SK Wayne wrenches over the Snap on wrenches. Better feel on the hands. Snap On also doesn't replace their Blue Point tools if they die.
I agree brand name does not mean quality, more so in the last 20 years or so as brands have been bought out by multinational brand warehouses. The only thing they tend to do is source at the lowest point while remaining pretty and up the price to for marketing and brand following, true quality becomes a second after thought.

I find that you can find gems that costs way less and the quality can far exceed the name brand in some cases.

Case in point I bought some Snapon sockets and PA sockets, the Snapon's snapped and PA's are still kicking despite all the abuse I've given them.

That does look like a good one.
Best thing about Amazon is you have a pretty long return window. Use it a bunch and make sure it works well, then decide to keep or return it.
Ken