• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tools of the Trades Show, Pickering, ON April 5, 2020

trlvn

Ultra Member
Hi:

The semi-annual Tools of the Trades (TOTT) show is approaching. I wondered if anybody wanted to meet up there?

https://ontarioantiquetools.com

The show is almost exclusively antique tools so no KBC booth or anything like that. There is also a lot more woodworking tools than stuff for metalworking. A couple of the sellers do focus on machinist stuff and several others will have metal-oriented stuff among their other offerings. It is a one-day thing and attracts a pretty good crowd. The doors open at 10:00 and there is always a lineup. Admission is $5.

I've been going for years with some friends that are mainly into antique woodworking stuff. In fact, I have a bit of a sickness for Sheffield carving tools from a particular maker (James Howarth). On the metal side, I've picked up used milling cutters, dial indicators, a surface gauge, a thread gauge, a radius gauge set, a couple of bars of metal stock, and various other things. The dealers usually know what they have so they are not giving stuff away. OTOH, they bring the stuff to sell so you can often find a decent price and haggling is not out of the question!

A bunch of us usually troop up to a local restaurant at noon to talk shop, tell tales, and whatnot. A few of the more intrepid wives have been know to attend. After lunch, we usually head back to the show. The best deals are available when the dealers are faced with having to pack up and lug home the remaining stuff. ;)

Raise you hand if you think you might be able to attend. Next one is Sunday April 5, 2020 in Pickering, ON.

Remember, if you don't go, we're going to find that item you've been desperately searching for...and the price is going to be insanely low. And we'll never let you forget! ;)

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Craig,

I am going to put that on the calendar and make the trip down. My better half might come along to laugh at us droolin' over toolin' and lunch is always of interest.

trlvn

Ultra Member
And I just got an email that the Spring Tools of the Trades show has been cancelled. Darn virus just got real!

The Fall Show is scheduled for October 4, 2020, however.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
Roger that Craig,

That is a bummer.....alas.....will have to figure out a rendezvous with you ........if anything is still open?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I think we can go through the Tim's drive-through lane, one after the other...as long as we don't get out of our vehicles! ;)

Craig

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I've been to a few over the years, and am really looking forward to this one (a sign of returning normality), and can actually make it without a conflict. Usually bring my Dad and FIL along too, and we all come away with a few good deals on some things we never knew we needed.

Engmaxx

(Michael)
It is on again April 2, 2023. I plan to attend. Hard to find any machinist/tool shows in Ontario even if they aren't geared towards hobbyists.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Did anybody go? I didn't end up making it. It was the day after my 40th birthday (surprise party) and I was scared the couch was going to float away if I got off of it on Sunday...... No birthdays in April, so I should be able to make the next one.