• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Toolex lathe ON $500

trlvn

Ultra Member
I'm surprised at the negativity. From a distance, it looks like a 12 X 36 lathe. Appears the motor stopped working and the PO pulled it and opened up the controls. And maybe did nothing else! (Best case.) The ad says "110/240 volt" but in the pictures, you can see the motor junction with no visible capacitor bump. May mean that the motor is actually 3 phase and therefore a candidate for a VFD? Worst case is having to buy a new TEFC motor and controls.

If my circumstances were different, I'd already be in Georgetown having a look at it. For $500 (maybe less!), a few parts and some sweat equity, I think it has a heck of a lot of potential! Who knows what goodies are hidden in the base or elsewhere.

Craig

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm surprised at the negativity. From a distance, it looks like a 12 X 36 lathe. Appears the motor stopped working and the PO pulled it and opened up the controls. And maybe did nothing else! (Best case.) The ad says "110/240 volt" but in the pictures, you can see the motor junction with no visible capacitor bump. May mean that the motor is actually 3 phase and therefore a candidate for a VFD? Worst case is having to buy a new TEFC motor and controls.

My first thought was the same that it would be a great candidate for vfd and whatever motor, after another look it looks like there is a couple of capacitors in the chip tray, either way it needs a new motor and it looks like someone troubleshot the motor and there it sat. The only other thing is why did the motor go, was it abused or did it just wear out or was there a bad event that happened. Definitely lots of potential there its a nice big lathe.
For anyone looking and willing to spend a bit of time and money you would probably be pretty happy in the end especially if there was a bunch of tools with it.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I'm surprised at the negativity. g

sort of agree, a bit of electrical to sort out isn't a bid deal. I suspect the front switch plate was taken off as part the owners effort to figure out the electrical. It looks like crap, but I think that's just sawdust.

The tipping point would be if there a box or two tooling the vendor didn't was worth advertising. Toolmex is offshore, and I have to put some money into it and then start buying tooling...I'd probably pass. ....but if there's a pallet of tooling just off to one side .....at 538 views you'd thnk the pump is primed for good deal

Tom O

Ultra Member
I would say it’s been used for a wood lathe but even if it doesn’t work too good after a good clean selling parts will get your money back or remove the toolpost and make it into a line boring machine with a little modification.
what do you think Mcgyver? Lol
B.A Baracus would.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
For $500 I would have taken it in AB right away. Someone over here wanted a $1000 for a lathe that has fallen and had broken bed.