• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Tool review - Mini air beveler/chamfer tool

Tool

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm sure most have seen these by now, and probably wanted one for a while like me too. I finally got off my wallet to buy this one here.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B1HCJQC7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I chose that one, because I like the black colour, and it came with what I believed to be 4 extra inserts and an extra follower bearing..... Imagine my surprise when It showed up yesterday, and in the box was the tool only. I could have swore that the ad specifically said that the extras were included, but I went back and re read the ad, and couldn't find where it specifically said the extras came with it. They COULD have changed the ad, but the more likely scenario is that I hastily ordered from the wrong tab I had open at the time.....Rats. I DID go back and find a few other ads with extra inserts and bearings, but so far none for that price, so do your own due diligence. My mistake.
Oriwm4sl.jpg

Enough rambling, on to the tool. It doesn't come with a qc fitting, so beware of that too. I pumped my compressor up to 120 psi and shut it off. Grabbed some saw cut stock from the rack and dropped a few drops of oil in the tool (everybody remembers to do that right?). First impressions is that it's LOUD. I normally hate the high pitch whine of air tools. They're like an ice pick into my brain. This tool is no exception. IMO it's WORSE than a die grinder. Higher pitch for sure. A set of ear muffs nulls the pain though, and makes it tolerable. It's pretty air hungry too, but it worked all the way down to about 40lbs before it didn't really have enough oomph to cut anymore.

It DOES work though. And pretty good too. I use a electric trim router with a chamfer bit to do aluminum all the time, but don't use it on steel. It will "work" but wood bit chip and don't hold up to the steel for very long in my opinion. This tool is very compact and easier to manage than even a small trim router so it gets the nod there for sure. It's much smaller than I thought is was, so that's a plus for me. The small depth collar, and bearing make it easier to get in tight places.
kXyN0Lyl.jpg

cy4Q5n7l.jpg

It also does a great job on steel as can be seen on this saw cut tubing off cut.
lovLHcZl.jpg

That is exactly how it came from the box set on the 0.6mm setting.
SyBrunwl.jpg

This is at 0.25mm. Tough to photograph but it creates a pretty nice chamfer IMO, even on this saw cut edge. Adjustment is pretty easy, and requires 2 sets screws to be loosened so you can rotate the depth collar. There is also a set screw to calibrate the collar. Measuring both depth settings has them within a couple thou of stated depth, so that's good enough for me.

My over all impressions are that it's a pretty good tool. A bit frivolous for infrequent home shop use, but this one will go to work with me where I will abuse it daily, and maybe even remember to oil it once in a while. I'll report back when it's time to change the inserts, to see what kind of longevity they have. I'm especially curious how they will hold up in steel, as that is kind of what I was buying it for. Even if they don't hold up, it'll still be handy on aluminum due to being smaller in size, and easier use than the trim router. I like bigger chamfers on larger blocks, and smaller on small blocks, so having tools tools preset will speed up production, and up my finishing game. Changing depth on the trim router sucks, but on this one is a breeze.

I wouldn't recommend buying the one I linked, due to the image trickery, and slightly higher price. You can find ones in a similar price range to this that come with extra inserts, and ones cheaper that don't. For the sake of the $10-15 difference, I'll keep this one, and eat my ordering error. I won't open so many tabs next time when researching purchases......

JustaDB

Ultra Member
The ad you linked to currently contains this text in the headline: "...with Replacement Blade & Bearing". Scrolling down to "Specifications" reveals this: "1 x 45-degree mini chamfering machine Kit with 2 Pieces blades and 1 Pc Bearing".

In addition, 4 blades & 2 bearings are shown in the first product photo.

Misleading at best, an outright lie at worst.

That said, thx for the review. I'd never heard of these before.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like it uses a very common insert so that's nice. Others use something more obscure, presumably to bring you back for consumables.
It doesn't say the air consumption, just 87psi pressure. My little compressor cant keep up with most of these, although air powered is nicer than an electric motor in close proximity without proper shielding/venting. Chips & motor winding don't work well together.

1679246923880.png

As far as I can tell, they are all made in the same factory, just finished differently.

I bought mine from Amazon near the beginning when they came on the market. KBC started selling them about a year or so later. When I saw theirs I thought I saw a twin. Price wise its close to what I paid. To date I have not changed an insert and do use it on a regular basis.

For the best finish on the cut use full air pressure or it can develop a ripple.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The ad you linked to currently contains this text in the headline: "...with Replacement Blade & Bearing". Scrolling down to "Specifications" reveals this: "1 x 45-degree mini chamfering machine Kit with 2 Pieces blades and 1 Pc Bearing".

In addition, 4 blades & 2 bearings are shown in the first product photo.

Misleading at best, an outright lie at worst.

That said, thx for the review. I'd never heard of these before.
Yeah, I had a few tabs open for various offerings, and distinctly remember reading 4x inserts, 2x bearings in one of the ads. After spending too much time with analysis paralysis I guess I just ordered from the wrong one. So far I've never been caught out by the misleading pics in ads until now. You win this round unscrupulous amazon merchant (shakes fist at clouds)

Last edited:

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Oh boy, and I just bought a long reach die grinder and carbide burrs…

Hope it’s available in red (Even better I found one in burnt orange!)

Last edited:

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Is it easy enough to use by hand? I have seen a table mount attachment for these and was wondering if there would be much benefit. Maybe for small awkward parts that aren't already in your mill vise?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
That's the best part about it. It's super easy to use by hand. Much easier than the trim router and safer too, as you can't get your finger into the bit at all. I don't think the table is nessesary for this at all. Not for what I need anyway. I think that is just SWAG diversifying the products line.... I DO see how a table mounted version would be handy for plasma cut sheets though. I'd rather just leave it not mounted and run it by hand.

Gave it a decent work out yesterday at work, and it's a keeper. It's high pitched whine drew in a few curious coworkers, so I might have to lock it up....lol

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Pneumatic Chamfering Machine Portable Deburring-Beveling - 45 Degree Ultra Light Mini Air Trimming Chamfering Tools, Metal Linear and Arc Edge Beveler Grinder Kit with Replacement Blade & Bearing https://a.co/d/ho3vakY

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I read some of the comments on the orange version that said it was really loud. What’s your impression?

no louder than an air die grinder, it is a pretty high pitched whine however

no joke tho, it does throw chips everywhere, far, with velocity, and not big chips, the small chips end up in your eyebrows only to fall into your eye later and send you to the hospital for a fun night of "lets see if the new doctor can dig this shit out of your eye"

so watch what orientation you use it in, it obviously throws the chips in the plane of rotation, dont have it pointed at your face, or wear a face shield + glasses, its worse than a die grinder for chips

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
no joke tho, it does throw chips everywhere
I can imagine! I used my die-grinder for the first time today. It does a sweet job but I’ve had more metal splinters in my hands today than in the last few months…

I appreciate your advice about using a face shield in addition to safety glasses!