• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool organization with Gridfinity

slow-poke

Ultra Member
David,

Thanks for providing the link. Excellent video.

I have started 3D printing holders, and plan to make more. It is interesting how in the end it typically saves space. The curved bottom modular trays are a really great idea.

The 3D scanning is really cool. We live in a fun era. If I live to a hundred I won't have enough time. Back to my mill project.

djberta

Premium Member
I have printed a different type of stackable trays I used at work. They were ok, just easier to print then others.

But I am slowly switching to grid finity. So many options. The grid finity master collection is now at 644 files. So pretty much everything you would need. I have pause at layer and changing colors working on my one printer really well. So I am putting colored labels on most of the ones I am printing.

Due to yard work and still moving, I have not printed much in the last while. I am still printing cosplay parts for my mando build and still have to finish out the pip boys for fallout.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David,

Thanks for providing the link. Excellent video.

I have started 3D printing holders, and plan to make more. It is interesting how in the end it typically saves space.

The 3D scanning is really cool. We live in a fun era.
With my newfound drawer space under the lathe and mill I am definitely going to try this too. I don't have the bed area of a Bambu printer but I can print a 4x4 grid.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have printed a different type of stackable trays I used at work. They were ok, just easier to print then others.

But I am slowly switching to grid finity. So many options. The grid finity master collection is now at 644 files. So pretty much everything you would need. I have pause at layer and changing colors working on my one printer really well. So I am putting colored labels on most of the ones I am printing.

Due to yard work and still moving, I have not printed much in the last while. I am still printing cosplay parts for my mando build and still have to finish out the pip boys for fallout.
Do you do manual colour changes?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Man I wish I could hire someone local to make up some of that stuff for me, that is sweet.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Man I wish I could hire someone local to make up some of that stuff for me, that is sweet.
I always see folks willing to do 3D printing on FB marketplace. The time consuming part is designing the boxes.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I have started 3D printing holders, and plan to make more. It is interesting how in the end it typically saves space. The curved bottom modular trays are a really great idea.
it is shocking how much space you end up saving.
I have done Gridfinity for 2 of the kitchen drawers (utensils) and 4 of the shop drawers (screwdrivers, punches, small bar stock, endmills). Turns out you gain more space in the other drawers just because you can move things to the gridfinity drawers due to the better organization.
If you have a smaller print bed, the gridfinity bins are easy to join together with a bit of crazy glue or you can design a big bin and then use your slicer to split and dovetail the parts together.
Things can take a long time to print but remember, you don't have to sit there and watch them.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Here are some of the printed holders I've done. More are done now, its the sort of thing where the mood hits or it doesn't

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here are some of the printed holders I've done. More are done now, its the sort of thing where the mood hits or it doesn't

Love those!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Those look great! But I don't quite get why you left the adjuster ends & wrench extending external like that (as opposed to encompassing them like a regular box). Is it a camera angle thing or maybe I'm misunderstanding the pic. Another nice touch on some cases is the finger indentation to grab the instrument in preferential spots. Slots for related accessories or calibration standards. Or a relief on back side for instructions...

Coincidentally I bought a used Mitutoyo indicating mic. great mic, but they all seem to suffer the same fate of 20 year old foam degrading into a crumbly mess which can even migrate into instrument nook & cranny surfaces especially if they have a bit of oil film. As a possibility I have seen these little stick-on foam biscuits which you could integrate into your 3DP design to cushion the instrument strategically here & there. But many cases are just plain hard plastic which cleans nicely or varnished wood for that matter, so plain 3DP should be perfectly fine too.

(not mine just a generic case pic)
1718863365975.png