• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tom Senior mill for sale

trials20

Cobble Hill
Friend of mine has a Tom Senior milling machine that he would like to sell. In good shape just a little grungy from lack of use.
Original came from Univ. of Calgary so he was told. Horizontal overarm support is inside machine cabinet but no shafts for cutters.
Located in Ladysmith, Vancouver Isl. Posting here first for the locals.
If interested please email dlweld at shaw dot ca

Attachments

• IMG_20231219_120608302.jpg
    IMG_20231219_120608302.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20231219_120617210.jpg
    IMG_20231219_120617210.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20231219_120636504.jpg
    IMG_20231219_120636504.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20231219_120653910.jpg
    IMG_20231219_120653910.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 68

mickeyf

If I hadn't just gotten a mill two weeks ago I'd jump on this. I'm just down the road and wanted a vertical/horizontal combination.But - no room anyway and too many projects!

JReimer

never heard of these machines. that is the perfect size for what I want. can anyone tell me more about these machines?

Lucky7

Nice Senior M1.

Lots of people after a S type vertical head. Almost makes a guy wonder if there’s a market for new build.

trials20

Cobble Hill
Also know of another one with the S head and Dividing head option. You can sort of see it off to the side in my crappy picture.
It won't be on the market any time soon unfortunate.

IMG_20230811_103726832.jpg

mickeyf

There is a gentleman ("Old Mart") who posts regularly on bbs.homeshopmachinist.net, in the UK I believe, who has one of these. I think they are well known on that side of the pond.

trevj

Ultra Member
Nice Senior M1.

Lots of people after a S type vertical head. Almost makes a guy wonder if there’s a market for new build.
I think it might work if you are looking for a hobby.

I think if you were planning upon relying upon the project to keep you fed, on a more or less steady basis, it would not work out so well. I think, realistically, the market would run out at a couple hundred units, over the space of several years, with a firm eye on the fact that the Brit Model Engineer, could teach a couple Scots a thing or two about how to squeeze a nickel till the animal on the back is pooing and peeing blood!

Lots of Bridgeport heads pop up for sale separated from their machines, though.

Lucky7

Actually, I do have a spare Bport step head. It really is too heavy and too big for a Senior Major. Maybe one of the little Bport M or B heads?

And yeah, I know making veetical heads for old horizontal mills isn’t a winning plan.

trevj

Ultra Member
Actually, I do have a spare Bport step head. It really is too heavy and too big for a Senior Major. Maybe one of the little Bport M or B heads?

And yeah, I know making veetical heads for old horizontal mills isn’t a winning plan.
I was actually thinking of the M head as likely candidate, still see one or two show up in the adverts on popularmachinist each year.

All the Senior mills I have seen (not very many, either!) have been either without vertical at all, or had the 'poverty option' head on them.

Lucky7

One thing I don’t understand about Tom Seniors is the complete lack of attention to lubrication points for the ways. Maybe thats the way an English machine can’t be accused of leaking oil?

My Major is half way thru a rescrape and adding zerks.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I've found the same with a few machines, BCA jig borer, Maximat lathe. Not exactly low end hardware, but lousy way oil distribution. I'm always at the ready to fix with a 1/8 ball end mill and oil cups :)

Payner

Premium Member
Anybody interested in a Bridgeport m head , I have 2 of them , I'm getting rid of some unused items and was going to post them for sale here in a couple of weeks .

Payner

Premium Member
I will get them out and get pics later ,just to be clear I bought them to refurbish which o haven't done so they are missing handle , quill clock spring , scale , drawbar and motor from what I remember .
Bill