• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tom Lipton type Lathe Skates

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I had to move another lathe a few weeks ago, and the guy who had it insisted that I couldn't damage the floor paint job in any way. "no metal wheels" and "no pry bar" were his edicts.

So I made these lathe skates with urethane wheels in a couple of days, entirely from materials in my scrap bin. The angle is 3"X3/8, the wheels are 2500# casters I had extra, and the wrap arounds were some 6X6X 1/8 tubing that was being used as a doorstop at a machine shop I coerced from the shop foreman....

Lathe_Skates_sm_2991.JPG

For those who are interested, Tom has just posted a great video on moving his Monarch 10EE - enjoy!

lipton's video

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Dabbler, do you have a picture of the skate itself alone? I'm interested in the side profile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Now that's an interesting story. Wonder what apparatus he used to get the lathe in to begin with? Or maybe he painted around it after the fact? I've heard of crews laying down 1/4" hardboard or ply so as not to bugger the floor, but I'm sure that has limits to before the wheels/bars/whatever crush the wood because all the weight is concentrated in a line by any kind of wheel. Anyway, good for you coming up with a solution.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Kevin, I'll have to get the lathe off the skates for a really good view, but tonight I'll try an 'under the skirt' shot of it in place.