• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tom Kitta

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey man persevering & accomplishing something like that is so far beyond what most of us have ever endured or could imagine...be forever proud of that accomplishment

Agreed but with one quibble. Getting old is at least equally challenging and a worthy accomplishment too. If you make it to 95 I'm sure you will agree. It sure isn't for sissys. See the following:

My brain was a bit fried and I failed to find the headlamp so I used full moon to get back to camp 4. Too tired to descent more and coughing I took some Dex to stop incoming death.

Change a few words and that sounds a lot like some of my routine visits to the toilet at night.

Glad you are home safe and sound Tom.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd rather chase the next door neighbours wife and risk getting shot by her hubby (and my bride too) than do an adventure like that!

I get rigor mortice climbing an antenna tower more than 10 ft up. They have to bring the Jaws of life to pry my fingers off to get me down.

In other words I deeply admire the accomplishment but I'm not even remotely jealous.

Hey @Tom Kitta - I ran across some stats on surviving that climb. They were scary enough all on their own. But what really caught my eye was the cost. If you don't mind sharing, what did that adventure of yours cost you?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Hey @Tom Kitta - I ran across some stats on surviving that climb. They were scary enough all on their own. But what really caught my eye was the cost. If you don't mind sharing, what did that adventure of yours cost you?

The death rate is frequently quoted at 9% but now its much less. I am not aware of any accidents this season. Last season they quickly closed the mountain after a fatality due to avalanche. There were multiple wounded but just one fatality AFAIK. In previous seasons things did not go so well as whole camps were wiped out creating this 9%. Now camp 3 is lower but somewhat well protected.

As to the cost, there is a story here as well. The base camp support cost me 5500 USD. The little agency man turned to be a thief and stole from me 750 USD more. He also robbed his business partner, another agency as well as hotel I was staying in. I also lost an expensive sleeping pad and few small items in a tent due to theft, so another 200. I also lost two tents as I left them packed at camp 1 hoping to get them later - did not happen so another 200-300 USD.

Then there is cost of flight there, visa, cost of just staying there and eating and over 100 for presents. About another 600 + 2000 for the flight.

I also got new down pants for 800 CAD as I was not brave enough to use some knock offs for next to nothing made in Nepal.

Food and other items say around $300. Insurance another 200.

So overall, 5500 + 750 + 600 + 2000 + 200 + 300 + 300 + 200 = 9850 USD.

I.e. total trip door to door is around 10k USD or around 13,000 CAD.

People frequently pay around 18,500 plus 1,500 summit bonus so 20k for just base camp support plus guides / oxygen on the mountain. So total cost for these people can be around 23000 USD or 32,000 CAD.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I.e. total trip door to door is around 10k USD or around 13,000 CAD.

Thanks Tom. To be honest, I think that's pretty reasonable. Once in a lifetime experiences are usually a small fortune.

The data I looked at suggested the cost was 100K or more. If so, you got your usual bargain!

Even on a mountain, where lives hang in the balance, and people desperately need each other, there are thieves ...... Crazy.

Gearhead88

Super User
Tom ........ Which Peak did you summit ?

Down the street from where I live , there is a house with balloons & banners , one of the banners has your name on it .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It was Manahookachuslakitta.

JKg it was Manaslu in the Himalayas. 8th highest mountain in the world.

8,163 meters. No wonder he looked and sounded like death warmed over.....