To Those in the Line of Fires

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I have a late 20s niece blissfully houseboating in Shuswap at the moment giving me heart attacks. If it's the end of the world as we know it, might as well party. Can't say I disagree.

Camper is packed, ready to leave anytime. Lightning strikes with virtually no rain this evening were hard on the nerves. Fingers crossed nothing comes of it.
But. We’re very fortunate. We’re still at home. We still HAVE a home. We have friends who are not, and a few who do not.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wish everybody in the line of fire the best of luck. Our drought is finally over, way to late for crops but the pastures are greening up.

40+ years ago I was "lucky" enough to see 300ft high flames from a forest fire in Northern Ontario. Left a lasting impression :oops::oops::oops:.

Just recently I have an App that lets me see weather conditions, by chance it lets you identify active fires in the world, Canada looks like 1/3 is burning.

Best wishes to those that are threatened by nearby fires and those that aren't may you never be.

KeeponDragon

Super User
It's been a very exciting last few days here in the Okanagan Valley to say the least...
The last 24 hrs have been bliss tho
The winds have given the firefighters a reprieve, and the sky has opened up with some much needed rain fall.
But the fight is far from over...especially when I see shit like this...You have got to fucking kidding me...it makes me want to beat those that call themselves "parents"
I'm grateful, that I live on the opposite side of the fire activity here in Kelowna, but my heart still hurts for those folks who lost their homes. I feel almost as lucky as this family Read this, try to look like its dust in your eyes
Thankfully, no loss of life as a result from the fires.
many thanks to everyone busting their asses for emergency services, and to emergency services personnel

I just saw a blip on the local site, the West Kelowna fire chief has asked people to STOP coming by with home cooked food for the firefighters...because they're being overwhelmed with visitors and food.

KeeponDragon

Super User
Oh I know I'm guilty of shenanigans at that age too...but to clearly disregard public safety, during a fire storm event...
That just boggles my mind

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
Yes,it has been like a bad dream lately. We have relatives that live in West Kelowna. They had the car packed and ready to go, then they got a slight reprieve and managed to stay. We also have distant relatives that had a nice house on the north shore of the Shuswap . Don't know how they made out, but it doesn't look good. Keeping our fingers crosses that the rain in the interior is doing some good.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Oh I know I'm guilty of shenanigans at that age too...but to clearly disregard public safety, during a fire storm event...
That just boggles my mind
George Carlin:

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half the people you meet will be stupider.

And then deduct an additional 25 IQ points for being a teenager.

One friend in West Kelowna lost their vacation home, another friend about 1 mile away hasn’t had any concerns. Just the luck of the draw and random wind movements.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
One friend in West Kelowna lost their vacation home, another friend about 1 mile away hasn’t had any concerns. Just the luck of the draw and random wind movements.
Sadly, there's way more to it than luck. Heard a fascinating podcast on 99% Invisible a few years ago about a guy who developed a template for housing development in fire zones that could drastically reduce the chance of your house going up in flames during a wildfire.
Stuff like having cedar or juniper beside the house or cedar or asphalt shingles is just asking for your home to ignite from a random spark, let alone a wildfire.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Sadly, there's way more to it than luck. Heard a fascinating podcast on 99% Invisible a few years ago about a guy who developed a template for housing development in fire zones that could drastically reduce the chance of your house going up in flames during a wildfire.
Stuff like having cedar or juniper beside the house or cedar or asphalt shingles is just asking for your home to ignite from a random spark, let alone a wildfire.

Makes a lot of sense