• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Titan Academy CNC tutorial - any members doing this please post!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in going through the Titan CNC Academy tutorial on milling:

https://academy.titansofcnc.com/category/mill-building-blocks

If you have access to a CNC mill this might be an interesting series to learn a bunch on. It would be nice to have a group to work on it together. I'll shout out to a few people...I'm sure there are others. Even if you don't have access to a CNC mill the CAD/CAM part with the simulation is entirely approachable and free.

@kylemp , @kevin.decelles , @Tom O , @Alexander Alex of course will think this is baby stuff... :)

John
1591805872771.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've started...but I'll pause to let others catch up...or maybe they need to wait for me?

I've got material. I could probably sell a few lumps.

1591810104136.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That looks interesting, John. One of my goals is learning more about the CAM aspect. I'll have to watch along.
And also probably good for me to see how Fusion-360 does things on the CAD front.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I should do something like that I’ve got a few parts of those that my son made following Titan.
By the way John what did that 2x1 aluminum set you back I’d like to make sone soft jaws I have some made with 1/2” but want some thicker.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I got it at Steel Inc. It was fairly pricey like $150 $175 or something for 10' Sorry I don't recall exactly.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Ok I was just looking for a ballpark figure the good part is you can change to a 2 bolt pattern to use both sides flip them around to use them twice.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Ok I was just looking for a ballpark figure the good part is you can change to a 2 bolt pattern to use both sides flip them around to use them twice.
If you’re well over $100 you could also check at Samuels. About 5 years ago their minimum was $120, it’s likely higher now.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well I've started the series. Let's see how far I get. I did the first side of the first part TM-1. Still need to address threading the holes and mill off the back.

Attachments

• IMG_5386.JPG
    IMG_5386.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5387.JPG
    IMG_5387.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5390.JPG
    IMG_5390.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.04.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.04.30 PM.png
    476.2 KB · Views: 1

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
They also have great measuring videos. I just reviewed the 'using a micrometer' video and it is better than the instruction I got when I first started. Absolutely tops.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I did the back side. I call part 1 finished for now. I need a 10-32 roll tap to finish doing this on the machine. I've got one ordered but it will be a while. I could tap it by hand but I don't think that is the point. It turned out within tolerance I'm glad to say. I need to work on the next part the Titan-2M.

Now everybody...are you sure you don't want to work on this?

IMG_5393.JPG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 3.51.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 3.51.02 PM.png
    266.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The milling tutorial series parts are just student test pieces. They don't seem to have any function.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Yes with the tapping function it works good we haven’t snapped any we were more concerned about the collet working ok as the tapping collets have a built in square drive for possible Slippage.
Thats not to say I wouldn’t like some machine taps just to make sure! Lol

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Titan-2M

I'm not 100% happy with this one but it's ok. I'm waiting for a 4MM ER32 collet to come so I can do the threading with a roll tap.

Titan 3M next...

Attachments

• IMG_5468.jpg
    IMG_5468.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0