• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

'tis the season...

Deni822

Looks like everyone is signing on this site, including me, must be crappy outside. :) Since I just posted my first comment in the "sourcing metals" thread, I might as well introduce myself here. I'm a relative newbie to metal work, but have been running a tig and a mig in the evenings to practice and make some steel/wood furniture while I'm practicing. Love the content here, and nice to get local reviews and insights into metalworking instead of mostly in the US.

Anyway, looks like winter is here, so I'll be lurking and learning on this site for months to come since I doubt I'll have much to contribute with so many experienced peeps here.

Cheers,
Mark

Deni822

The first sentence came out wrong. Meant it in a good way, more time to browse and get involved in a new forum/community. :)

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Welcome to the forum. Yep, Time to take shelter in the slightly less cold shop, haha.

Lets see some pics of your furniture made to date!

JW

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Looks like everyone is signing on this site, including me, must be crappy outside. :) Since I just posted my first comment in the "sourcing metals" thread, I might as well introduce myself here. I'm a relative newbie to metal work, but have been running a tig and a mig in the evenings to practice and make some steel/wood furniture while I'm practicing. Love the content here, and nice to get local reviews and insights into metalworking instead of mostly in the US.

Anyway, looks like winter is here, so I'll be lurking and learning on this site for months to come since I doubt I'll have much to contribute with so many experienced peeps here.

Cheers,
Mark
Welcome Mark.

Deni822

Thanks guys. I haven't done much but here are a couple of end tables I did from some reclaimed oak top and whats in progress currently.

IMG_6066.JPG
IMG_6283.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

Deni822

Thanks John. I picked up a Lincoln MP210 and a TIG Square Wave 200. So far very happy with them both for my hobby workshop.

Cheers,
Mark

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice. Does the wood slab nestle inside what looks like 90-deg angle iron? What is your prep/painting procedure for metal frame? Geez you know, the only way that would look better is with a granite surface plate in the top and sitting in my shop. :)

Deni822

Very nice. Does the wood slab nestle inside what looks like 90-deg angle iron? What is your prep/painting procedure for metal frame? Geez you know, the only way that would look better is with a granite surface plate in the top and sitting in my shop. :)

Peter, yes, the slab is thinner that the 1" angle that it sits in, so I welded some spacers underneath for a raised look as I liked it better than flush. As to prep, I went as far as 120 grit flap disks then rattle-canned it with a rustproofing primer and some black matt finish. Wife likes it, so thats all that matters. :)

The console table that I'm building now is a design I matched to those end tables as they're going to be in the same room. I'm re-purposing some old aluminum 26" mountain bike rims that I had laying around the garage for the back panel.