Time for some fun

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Thanks for this thread. I've been sitting through Union onboarding safety training for the past 2 weeks, and being 41, the oldest one in class by a long shot (I was 6-8 years older than the instructors....). Feeling very old, talking about being the last generation to go through school with no internet, and only the encyclopedia britannica to fact check stuff. When we had the internet last years in highschool, but it was basically just the same encyclopedia britannica just online through dial up lol. These younger guys, 19-25, thought I was a dinosaur......Reading through this thread makes feel young again......:D

I remember being the TV remote, the dial up phones, with only one in the house, and a cord long enough to reach the bedrooms if you wanted privacy. The party line, one long two shorts was the one at my grandparents cottage. The nosey nextdoor neighbor that would pick up on every call.....A few of the others, but that was more a byproduct of growing up poor in a small town with small school) and older parents that were slow to adapt, not an age thing lol. I feel like I rode the last wave of that generation before the video games, and internet raised them.

Last edited:

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Before unbridled, policy fuelled, standard of living destroying population growth, you used to able to get anywhere in GTA in a 30 minutes. Now you have stop and go traffic on the highways on the weekends!

If you live here, every other change in the last 40 years pales in significance.
I couldn't take it anymore, I moved out. I just don't get this expansion concept, at some point we need to work to a sustainable model, present system seems more like a Ponzi scheme.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
100% agree. so frustrating, no plan. when they pave all the way to Lake Simcoe and quality of life for all is crap, will that be enough? it should be GDP per capita that matters not GDP. sigh, Its you and me slow-poke, the rest of them have gone insane and flushed what was a great place to live in the process.

Last edited:

terry_g

Ultra Member
I remember riding on one of these in 1970.

100.jpg
It was replaced by a bridge at Kitwanga a few years later. This one is a 20 minute drive from my home.

jorogi

present system seems more like a Ponzi scheme.
That's exactly what it is, but it a government run one so that makes it all okay.
They need the revenue from building and development permits to pay for needed infrastructure that they still haven't built for the last batch.