TIG rod size

Blue, 2% Lanthinated, a good all around rod without being radioactive ;).

I have both 1/16 and 3/32, currently using 3/32 #6 cup about 13cf argon, usually give myself about 5amps above recommend for headroom, sometime a touch extra heat to start the puddle is great (at least for this beginner), I follow the simple rule 1 amp/0.001" to about 0.140" at which point 150amps seems to work for heavier material. Foot peddle gives me heat control.

I sharpen with my belt grinder and a drill, eyeball point angle.

just throwing this out there ,when tig welding you can't use oxyacetylene wire , you'll get porosity ,,, I think its because the wire is not deoxidized

Tom O

Ultra Member
I’ve used mig wire before but folded it in half and twisted it with a drill that works good for bodywork.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve used tig wire before but folded it in half and twisted it with a drill that works good for bodywork.
TIG wire or MIG wire?
I once tried to twist two 1/32" TIG filler rods to make 1/16" rod and the rods just snapped.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
...Assuming your talking solid core

MIG/TIG filler, same thing, just different diameters

But oxy filler lacks deoxidizers, and is slightly cheaper as a result (although I would be surprised if anyone carried much for stock these days)....like @hovercraft57 stated is no good for arc welding