• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

TIG Gas

motordr

Active Member
A friend gave me a bottle of Argon/ Carbon dioxide mix. Can this be used with my TIG welder? My Argon bottle is almost MT.
 
Most places that do a bottle exchange will swap for different types of the same size no problem. As others have said, Pure argon for tig (you can also use helium for aluminum)

This sounds like a good reason to buy a MIG welder though....😀 Free bottle is a sign from the welding gods.
 
Well, I do have a MIG but converted it back to flux core wire as I so seldom used it. It leaked out more gas than it used. The TIG is now my preferred method on almost everything except the heavy stuff which I prefer to stick weld. My Lincoln Square Wave 185 takes care of both.
 
I need a friend like the OP’s!

Joking aside, suggest the OP lend his new cylinder to a friend who does MIG w C25 or whatever mix he’s got and get the cylinder back when empty for exchange to full argon tank. Assuming he’s in an area with companies that do owner exchanges for the size cylinder he has. Paying good karma forward always rewards. 🙂

Reminds me to start looking for a spare owner exchange LD cylinder off kijjiji now that spring is approaching.
 
Well, I do have a MIG but converted it back to flux core wire as I so seldom used it. It leaked out more gas than it used. The TIG is now my preferred method on almost everything except the heavy stuff which I prefer to stick weld. My Lincoln Square Wave 185 takes care of both.
I had the chance to borrow my buddies SW200 a few years back. He's more of a MIG guy, but funds allowed for him to pick it up and then park it in a corner of his garage and ignore it. He let me take it for a spin (almost a year on borrow) and I really miss that foot pedal now.
My pockets aren't as deep as his, so my choice of machine was from Princess Auto. It works good. But I wish it had a pedal.
 
Well, I did swap my bottle with a friend for his Argon bottle. It was full when I got it a few months ago…but when I went to change it out yesterday to do some aluminum TIG WELDING it was MT!
Pretty sure I closed the valve tightly. Next bottle I will be checking for leaks with soapy water.
Next question is where do I go locally in Hamilton Niagara to exchange the bottle. I bought it from TSC which became Peavey Mart which also vanpourized.
 
Back
Top