• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Threading on a Lathe

There is a lot of methods of threading on the lathe and I remember this one from my high school days but my Logan Lathe never could, lift cuts just didn't work well.

Now that I have a new lathe :D here is the plan (since I ran across a good video on it) and I'd thought I'd share the method to remind those that know and teach those that don't.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There is a lot of methods of threading on the lathe and I remember this one from my high school days but my Logan Lathe never could, lift cuts just didn't work well.

Now that I have a new lathe :D here is the plan (since I ran across a good video on it) and I'd thought I'd share the method to remind those that know and teach those that don't.

Some members on here don't think much of Joe Pie's videos. For my part, I like them. In fact, they are among the few I will, actually watch. But he can be a bit too pedantic even for me.

That said, his method here is good. But it's only one of many. For anyone who does a lot of threading (I'm one of them) I think you need a number of methods under your belt and be comfortable with all of them. (front forward, front reverse, rear forward, rear reverse, inside front forward, inside front reverse, inside rear forward, and inside rear reverse. And let's not forget LH threads.

I am going to take the view that threading in reverse should not be for beginners. It's all fine and good until you start cutting and you miss the thread index on the thread dial. Better to be off in space on the far right with room to bail out. I'd much rather advocate conventional threading for a newbie for lots of reasons - not the least of which is getting help from an army of others who do it that way all the time. Now let's talk metric...... Nah, do it the standard way till you can do it in your sleep. Then try Joe's way and fall in love! Gotta walk before you run and run before you ride a bike.....

As for his threading wire advice, he can go fly a kite. Those things are a fiasco and I hate them. Give me a good threading Micrometer all day every day. Well worth the investment. And just skip right over those dumb wires and all the fancy gizmos out there to hold them. All junk in my humble opinion.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Old school skills vs new tech. Understanding both makes you better.

There is nothing to understand. Thread wires are really almost stupid simple. So is the mic. But holding those stupid three wires at once in your fingers, while you hold a regular mic in the other is no piece of cake. Add 75 years to the mix with bad eyes, the shakes, and the hand eye coordination of a one day old baby and you have what I can only call a hateful crappy set of tools that mostly end up in the swarf pile. Replace all that with just one Micrometer and it becomes totally doable.

And ya, I've probably bought every thread wire holding gizmo made anywhere in the world and they all suck.

Nothing old school about them. They just plain suck.

But maybe I'm holding back too much. Sometime I'll tell you how I really feel about them!

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The only issue with the thread micrometer is price.
0-1" micrometer=$570
1-2" micrometer =$680
Complete anvil set=$430
That's $1,680.00+tax. (For Mitutoyo)
And I'd need both micrometers.

I'll bitch and curse for the odd times I actually need to measure.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
0-1" micrometer=$570
1-2" micrometer =$680
Complete anvil set=$430

You can get them waaaaay cheaper than that!

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I assume we have not established a metrology ‘borrowing’ system.
Maybe the ADMIN of C.H.M.W. could look into that.
Anybody tried this before ??

The other option is to borrow from another member or friend.
We are all experienced and should know how to treat measurement tools.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I assume we have not established a metrology ‘borrowing’ system.
Maybe the ADMIN of C.H.M.W. could look into that.
Anybody tried this before ??

The other option is to borrow from another member or friend.
We are all experienced and should know how to treat measurement tools.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm a Mitutoyo fan boy but the price of thread mic's is completely crazy. Even used are expensive & seems like anvils are rarely included or incomplete. Ended up waiting for a sale & got a Shars digital. Came with full set of anvils, switch from imperial to metric. Still more than I wanted to spend but the deed is done. So far very I'm happy with it.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Sounds like you ‘Cowboys’ out West have a system in place.

We have to create a regional system that is manageable within a certain geographical area.
As I suggested last year . . . ‘County-based‘ member lists would help to share tooling and aid in co-operative teamwork to complete challenging tasks.

Since joining CHMW last year, I have only met two members face to face.
One turned out to live 8 minutes down the street.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
0-1" micrometer=$570
1-2" micrometer =$680
Complete anvil set=$430

I do not remember where I got mine. I'll have to look tomorrow. I only went to 2 inches and they came with the anvil set.

What I can say for sure is that they were WAY LESS than that! If I had to guess I might have paid 150 for everything.

I don't think that the mitutoyo name is required for this job though. The mic itself need not be a tenths mic. A regular thousandths thimble mic will be just fine.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

We have to create a regional system that is manageable within a certain geographical area.
As I suggested last year . . . ‘County-based‘ member lists would help to share tooling and aid in co-operative teamwork to complete challenging tasks.

It's about time you came out of your shell and met a few more. You are welcome 3 hours down the 401 anytime! I promise to talk your head off.

There is nothing to understand. Thread wires are really almost stupid simple. So is the mic. But holding those stupid three wires at once in your fingers, while you hold a regular mic in the other is no piece of cake. Add 75 years to the mix with bad eyes, the shakes, and the hand eye coordination of a one day old baby and you have what I can only call a hateful crappy set of tools that mostly end up in the swarf pile. Replace all that with just one Micrometer and it becomes totally doable.

And ya, I've probably bought every thread wire holding gizmo made anywhere in the world and they all suck.

Nothing old school about them. They just plain suck.

But maybe I'm holding back too much. Sometime I'll tell you how I really feel about them!
See you know the old school way and know that the new one is better ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
0-1" micrometer=$570
1-2" micrometer =$680
Complete anvil set=$430

Here you go @thestelster. Affordable and plenty accurate enough for any threading job I do. Free shipping too!

Accusize Industrial Tools 0-1'' by 0.001'' Screw Thread Micrometer with 5 Anvil in Fitted Box, S916-C750 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0189RHDWS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_KY35B39PGXBA8QFZP8G7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Turns out that's what I have. But I got mine in a two micrometer set about 5 years ago - maybe more..... Mine are also only 1 thou mics. But that's plenty for the threading I do.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Hobbyist

You're more than welcome to borrow what you need and/or come hijack my garage lol

Tom O

Ultra Member
Here you go @thestelster. Affordable and plenty accurate enough for any threading job I do. Free shipping too!

Accusize Industrial Tools 0-1'' by 0.001'' Screw Thread Micrometer with 5 Anvil in Fitted Box, S916-C750 https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0189RHDWS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_KY35B39PGXBA8QFZP8G7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Turns out that's what I have. But I got mine in a two micrometer set about 5 years ago - maybe more..... Mine are also only 1 thou mics. But that's plenty for the threading I do.
I received mine on Sunday… I’m a little pissed at Amazon though. It’s raining and the door was open except for the screen-door, I’m around the corner watching tv waiting for the arrival so after a while I get up and see wet boxes sitting on the landing no delivery pic, or knock on the door, Dukes of Hazzard horn as he’s making his escape Nada!
It boggles my mind it’s right there up against the screen-door as I bought a 5x7 adjustable plate things that Blondihack uses for angles And he can’t figure out the bell.

gerritv

Gerrit
I don't use the thread dial, just keep the half nuts engaged. Since I learned that for metric I use it for everything.
Now I use an ELS, which takes all the fear out of 1.5mm pitch at 400rpm to a limit. And of course without the unnecessary 29dg stuff, straight in with or without the ELS.
If it really matters I measure with wires. Same set works for metric and inferial. The Accusize set came with an ok enough holder for the wires.

Gerrit

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Threading on my SM 1660 is a dream with the leadscrew reverse. Its the same as this video, but mine doesn't have, or need, a thread dial.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
And of course without the unnecessary 29dg stuff, straight in with or without the ELS.

Nice project.

Did you document that on the forum? If so, I either missed it or a few neurons passed away and I forgot it.

I'm really curious, how does an ELS avoid the 29.5 degree cut?