• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques threading issues on CX 706

Tips/Techniques

trlvn

Ultra Member
You are not the first with this problem. How in the world do they manage to screw this up so badly so often!

It almost makes me think BB should do a recall!
We know that the factory that makes the lathes for Busybee also makes machines for various other companies...many of which will be natively metric machines. I wonder if the 40 tooth threading dial is intended for metric lathes?? The imperial lathes have a 8 tpi leadscrew which is equivalent to a 3.175 mm pitch. If the metric leadscrew was a finer pitch, say 2.0 or 2.5 mm, it would mate better with the higher tooth count on the threading dial. I haven't worked out if that would make the threading dial useful for common metric pitches though.

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I haven't worked out if that would make the threading dial useful for common metric pitches though.

Me either. But maybe it will fall out of some deeper work I am doing. We will see.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well the part showed up.......damnation it works. They sent the whole thread indicator not just the gear. The new gear is 32 tooth cut at an angle, original gear was 40 tooth straight cut. Now to wait till i have time to play with some threading.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Now to wait till i have time to play with some threading.

WHAT? Who are you and what did you do with 6.5 Fan?

What are you gunna tell BB when it doesn't work if you wait 2 months to try it?

Just stick a bolt in the chuck for whatever thread your gears are set for, use the cross slide to index the thread close enough, and then restart a few times on the appropriate marks for that thread to make sure it works!

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
OK, that all I needed to know. It was that or a search and rescue team to find out what happened to you.
I could of used a search and rescue team on tuesday. Almost needed assistance to get to the house after 12 hours of roughhousing with the cows. A 70 year old isn't in top form anymore for that kind of a day.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I could of used a search and rescue team on tuesday. Almost needed assistance to get to the house after 12 hours of roughhousing with the cows. A 70 year old isn't in top form anymore for that kind of a day.
It's impressive that you could do even half a day of that at 70 years old. I know what sort of work that is and I'd be done in too. You should feel proud that you could do such.