• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Threaded screw cutter

Tool

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I have an older set of wire strippers that I picked up of the Snap-On truck back in the 70's. There not great for wire stripping however the threaded screw cutter is really handy. However fairly limited selection for screws, no M3 which is what I need right now.

Suggestions for a similar quality (but not too expensive) tool that will cut m3's?

AND what tools to avoid?

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 14

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Suggestions for a similar quality (but not too expensive) tool that will cut m3's?

I'm with @Degen on this one. Make something! I'm pretty sure his will be outside that silly box of his someplace though.... :p

In my case, almost all my screw cutting is done with 1/8 or 1/4 plate that is drilled and tapped for each of the sizes of screws I use. The steel is all scrap I scrounge from wherever I find it.

20230208_182407.jpg
20230208_182416.jpg

I thread the victim screw into the plate, lop it's nose off a tad long, then back it out to the desired length, and then touch the rest off in the big floor grinder.

The result is a screw that fits perfectly and never needs the end threads cleaned up . A lathe works better, but this is the quick and dirty method that has served me well for many years.

I doesn't matter what you cut the original screw with cuz it's gunna get ground off nice and flat anyway. I'll use anything from a cutoff wheel, a hacksaw, a bolt cutter, or even vice grips. The plate is easy to hold in a shop vise.

The hole also serves as a good thread checker. Usually I have course thread in one corner, and fine in the other. But this 1/4-28 is what I happened to have at the house when I wrote this.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Susquatch, no way in hell that nice, clean paw gets anywhere near a workshop. Isn't even any dirt under the thumbnail...

You would make a good detective. I've been busy doing other things lately. No time for the shop or the farm. :confused:

Not happy about that, but my paws and claws are cleaner than I ever remember.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya getting a router rooter through your veins gets in the way of doing fun stuff doesn't it?:(

Ya. It wasn't half as bad as I expected. I do wish they told me I'd be pissing vibrant fluorescent yellow afterward though. I wasted the opportunity to make some damn good snow art.

Good news is that they didn't find any other clots than the one that did my eye in. Sure glad I have paperwork and research to keep me busy or I'd go stark raving mad. The forum is good for lots of laughs too.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Susquatch, no way in hell that nice, clean paw gets anywhere near a workshop. Isn't even any dirt under the thumbnail...

I just realized something thanks to you! I've been trying to figure out why my phone hasn't been able to read my paw prints lately..... THEY ARE TOO CLEAN! LMAO!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ya. It wasn't half as bad as I expected. I do wish they told me I'd be pissing vibrant fluorescent yellow afterward though. I wasted the opportunity to make some damn good snow art.
I guess that dye is supposed to be pretty hard on the kidneys, so they don't like to do it too often. I never thought of the snow art potential however. Good to see you're thinking

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I guess that dye is supposed to be pretty hard on the kidneys, so they don't like to do it too often.

This was a much bigger issue than I anticipated. I'm a kidney stone factory. I've even had kidney surgery through my back both from below my ribs and through my ribs. Ended up in hospital for darn near 6 mths.

So ya, the kidney aspect was a big part of my "doctors orders".

And then there is the nurse Nazi that I live with........ I hate it when she goes to the doctor with me. I swear she has these private meetings with them to discuss ways to tie me down. She has all these rules I don't remember hearing. They sound very suspicious to me. I'm allowed to clean house but I'm not allowed to work in the shop....... I'm allowed to go clothes shopping with her but I'm not allowed to go to home depot without her...... Ya, very suspicious.....

You sound like you have had this procedure. Were you able to feel that gizmo they used to explore your blood vessels? Did it feel like you had worms in there too? Very creepy. Especially in my neck. No body else I have talked to seems to know anything about that.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This was a much bigger issue than I anticipated. I'm a kidney stone factory. I've even had kidney surgery through my back both from below my ribs and through my ribs. Ended up in hospital for darn near 6 mths.

So ya, the kidney aspect was a big part of my "doctors orders".

And then there is the nurse Nazi that I live with........ I hate it when she goes to the doctor with me. I swear she has these private meetings with them to discuss ways to tie me down. She has all these rules I don't remember hearing. They sound very suspicious to me. I'm allowed to clean house but I'm not allowed to work in the shop....... I'm allowed to go clothes shopping with her but I'm not allowed to go to home depot without her...... Ya, very suspicious.....

You sound like you have had this procedure. Were you able to feel that gizmo they used to explore your blood vessels? Did it feel like you had worms in there too? Very creepy. Especially in my neck. No body else I have talked to seems to know anything about that.
I've had angiograms/angioplasty a couple of times but it sounds like they were "sight-seeing" other parts of your body then they were in mine. They were going straight to my heart. And yes is was very unnerving feeling. The first time I wasn't so bad cuz I didn't know what the hell was happening but I tried to watch on the screen as they threaded the wire into my heart. The second time I had it, I knew what was up and knew things were not good so I was not quite as easy going despite them giving me some sort of drug to calm me. I was very tense and found it more unpleasant. I hope to live long enough to endure a 3rd go around (unless they come up with something better).

Your wife is a smart cookie, I like her methods!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What is it with you guys and hands anyway?

The last time I posted a photo with my hand in it everyone was laughing about the hair on my paws. Now my sausages are too clean! There is something seriously wrong with that image btw.....

Post in thread 'Hero Time' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/hero-time.6032/post-88713

Btw, @JustaDB, are the paws in the photos at the link worthy of shop duty? Keep in mind that's after washing up the dirty blood to avoid infection.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Btw, @JustaDB, are the paws in the photos at the link worthy of shop duty? Keep in mind that's after washing up the dirty blood to avoid infection.
Barely. Bleeding all over the place doesn't exactly instill much much confidence, tho. ;) (This from a guy whose missing half a phalange on his left thumb...)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
What is it with you guys and hands anyway?

The last time I posted a photo with my hand in it everyone was laughing about the hair on my paws. Now my sausages are too clean! There is something seriously wrong with that image btw.....

Post in thread 'Hero Time' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/hero-time.6032/post-88713

oh man it looks like you have more hair on your hands than I have on my head! jelous!