• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Threaded Inserts for File Handles

Perry

Ultra Member
Thought I would order up a small selection of threaded inserts to have around for 3D projects.

Any recommendations. Anything to avoid? I'm thinking AliExpress but open to suggestions.

I did notice AliExpress seems to only carry the metric ones. I know we live in Canada which is metric, but have you tried to go to a local hardware store on a weekend to just pick up one or two metric fasteners? Very few of the stores have metric stock. I'm not opposed to the metric and if I purchase from AliExpress it appears that is what I will be getting.

On another note this is from one of the AliExpress descriptions....
  • High-quality material: The nut is made of high-quality copper, which is durable and not easy to deform. it can be used for a long time.
  • Suitable occasions: The copper nut is suitable for all kinds of nuts and can be used in various occasions, such as weddings, parties, picnics, barbecues, etc.
Do I need Wedding approved inserts?

Perry

Ultra Member
Now that is too funny. :)

So I actually was looking at my file handles with the thread on the front. Did you know that a 10-32 tap threads down in to it very nice until about 3/8" of an inch. So this got me to thinking. The issue here is that if you take a close look at the tang of a file that has been threaded onto one of those handles you can see two set of "tracks". One set closer to the file surface and one set closer to the tip of the tang. There might be a second threaded nut farther into the handle. I tried a few smaller taps but nothing seems to thread in farther. Maybe a tapered thread? Maybe they squish the insert on the one end?

Some of those threaded inserts would be nice to grab. Ok.... I'm looking for both.

20240213_194141.jpg

Perry

Ultra Member
Autumn Sun Store from Aliexpress sent me out this assortment of inserts for only $33.89 total. Ordered Feb. 13th. Should be enough of a variety to get me started and to see what works. Quality looks good and shipping time seemed reasonable considering I ordered over the Chinese holidays.
20240226_195007.jpg

Ironman

Ultra Member
I don't know how well copper inserts would work on carbon steel file tangs, but handles are a good thing.
Golf balls are cheap and so am I. I drill a 3/16" hole in a golf ball, about 1/2 way through and drive the tang into the ball. They stay on well and Dollar Store has balls for 50 cents.

Perry

Ultra Member
@Ironman These inserts are not for file handles. There may have been some "John" foolery going on with the original thread title. I was working on 3D printing some file handles in another thread. These are for inserting into 3D prints.

To add confusion.....

I did happen on a youtube video where the gent was using golf balls for file handles and he inserted a threaded nut into the golf ball.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Autumn Sun Store from Aliexpress sent me out this assortment of inserts for only $33.89 total. Ordered Feb. 13th. Should be enough of a variety to get me started and to see what works. Quality looks good and shipping time seemed reasonable considering I ordered over the Chinese holidays.

So we are not talking file handles, correct?

I've just bought assortments like you've shown. They are available from amazon. They're metric, but the stainless metric screws are so cheap in the assortment packs, I just go that route. They are probably crap screws but more than strong enough for bolting together plastic stuff