• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Thread indicator for Clausing 100 Mk 3 lathe

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So looking at that Clausing I picked up last week I see it is missing the threading dial. I have looked around and can’t find a lot of information on it.

I plan to make a new one. Can anyone tell the the anything about the gear that meshes with the lead screw? I think I can figure everything else out from the pictures on the lathes.uk site.

Thanks!

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
OK,

So I took a look and now I am confused. My lathe doesn't seem to have place to mount a threading dial. There's one hole there, but not threaded even, and none on the other side.

IMG_1401.JPG

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sounds like quite a few of you are gunna work together to make threading dials!

My lathe is quite different. But I'll happily take photos of it for anyone who wants it. For reference, my leade screw is 8 tpi.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry Tom, I poured through my photos to see if I had a pic of the thread dial on the Clausing but I don't :(

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sorry Tom, I poured through my photos to see if I had a pic of the thread dial on the Clausing but I don't :(
There was a picture on the UK lathe site(see below). It’s the same shape as what I’ve seen elsewhere. Getting the right gear information might be the issue.

And now that I look again, it looks like the hole that is there is meant for the dial. Just wondering because it's not threaded. If course I can fix that pretty easy.

1711409764731.png

Last edited:

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am curious of the number of teeth for the gear I am guessing its a number based on the leadscrew tpi?
You could probably 3d print the gear and use it because it doesn't have any load.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There's one hole there, but not threaded even, and none on the other side.
Maybe they were stripped out and thus the dial went AWOL?

Or a threading dial was an option and the hole is the taping drill size for the SHCS?

Since you are making a dial from scratch, you can choose the bolt size to fit the hole you have after you re-thread it or repair it with a helicoil.