Thinking About Acquiring a Mill

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I should mention that I'm not on the hunt for that one, it's a photo from the Avemax site, I was using it as a clone perhaps closer to the Bridgeport (other then the drive). I just looked and it's listed as 8 speed step pulley with "Unique design on Hi-Low gear speed commutation".

D:cool:

I kinda assumed that. It looks brand new. I guess it is!

I'm thinking there is a gear in the end of the motor or an electrical system to double (or half) the motor speed itself.

Anyway, it's a great example of close but not really.

Below is a photo of my Hartford VS a pulley drive Bridgeport below that. As you can see, it's a much closer clone. But even so there are still some minor differences.

Hartford Left.jpg 11056-1.jpg

Tecnico

(Dave)
Today's update.

I took the opportunity to call HH Roberts to sound them out on sourcing parts for the Taiwan clones as suggested, the gent was talkative and shared some good info.

I was asking about what the landscape looked like for spares and basically it came back that with the TW clones it's hit/miss whether parts can be found (even if they appear to be the same machine). He has a Stanko in the shop that he describes as sounding like a cement mixer and he's tried through his channels to TW to source parts without success. He's resigned to let it go cheap for $3500! It looks a lot like the typical TW clone like I started out looking at.

He has no problem getting parts for his TW clones, he sells Topwell and said someone with time on their hands might be able to make parts for the Stanko.

So, that makes me think a bit about the risk of the typical TW clone and what one might get into fixing/maintaining one. I'm going to have to think about that for a while!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Today's update.

I took the opportunity to call HH Roberts to sound them out on sourcing parts for the Taiwan clones as suggested, the gent was talkative and shared some good info.

I was asking about what the landscape looked like for spares and basically it came back that with the TW clones it's hit/miss whether parts can be found (even if they appear to be the same machine). He has a Stanko in the shop that he describes as sounding like a cement mixer and he's tried through his channels to TW to source parts without success. He's resigned to let it go cheap for $3500! It looks a lot like the typical TW clone like I started out looking at.

He has no problem getting parts for his TW clones, he sells Topwell and said someone with time on their hands might be able to make parts for the Stanko.

So, that makes me think a bit about the risk of the typical TW clone and what one might get into fixing/maintaining one. I'm going to have to think about that for a while!

Yup. Pretty much what I concluded myself. Most of the parts on my Hartford are the same. But, a few are not.

I suppose that's another reason to hold out for an original Bridgeport in decent condition.

So, all that said. There is another way to look at such things. Your contact at HH Roberts actually shows the way. It goes like this.....

Buying used anything is always a crap shoot unless you know the machine and the guy selling it. So perhaps it just makes sense to look for the best you can find and then dive in. It may turn out to be a mistake, but then you sell cheap and try again or find another way. On the other hand if you don't try, you cannot succeed. There is no such thing as a life well lived without taking chances along the way.

In other words. Learn as much as you can, then find one that meets your needs, buy it yesterday, and be prepared for a few nasty surprises. They happen, but don't let the fear of them stop you from chasing your goals.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and following this excellent discussion. Here's a few thoughts from my experience --

(I should say that I have owned 5 mills over about 30 years, and only bought 1 of them new, and have 'consulted' on the purchase of about 5 more.

Industrial machines are built pretty tough, and they are used hard. This makes it pretty easy to spot a 'dud', especially if it is powered and you can run it. (there are a few good 'mill buying guides' on youtube and the 'net)

You live in a place where deals come up often, and even though we say be ready with cash - you can afford to be picky until you get one that your are comfortable with. Then spend the money and be prepared to take it what ever it is.

@Susquatch has super relevant experience here - when I saw the condition of the Hartford I could see from the photos that it was a very good mill at an excellent price. For a first mill, be prepared to spend a little *more* so you don't spend your early year(s) repairing a boat anchor.

Bargain mills are almost always that - a bargain that someone ELSE should be buying.

Lastly, don't worry too much about the parts thing - don't buy that mill that the parts guy wants to unload BTW - Most mills in good shape, used properly, will outlast you and your hobby. If you were going to do 4 hours of milling 5 days a week, you need to buy new from the start, a brand name that has a parts pipeline.

If youn are a hobby guy like me, 4 - 5 hours a month is more like it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I should add that *deals* do come up from time to time. @Johnwa found a kijiji mill that I bought - less than 100 hrs, Modern 945, around 2K$ with a vise and hold down kit.

Unbelievably, I was the -third- person to view it. The first two made lowball counteroffers. I gave her every penny of ask, as it was worth double that. I even told her it was worth much more than double in that condition, but she was happy to get her ask.