• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

The undercutter

Question to the admin....
What are the specifications of pictures that can be posted? Suddenly 90% of my pictures are too large to be posted. Same old Sony camera at the same settings

This has changed after the last crash. I believe it is a server limit not a forum one. They are prolly trying to conserve server storage space as well as overhead - which are not trivial.

I always shrink my photos before posting and I also highly recommend that you choose thumbnails.

Looks like the limit is 2Mb. I was able to load a 1.95Mb file but unable to load a 2.05Mb file.

OK, thanks.
Pain in the ass to deal with, I'll just limit the pics. Now I know what the max threshold is.
Some forum software, such as the type used by ShopFloorTalk has a automatic file reduction feature for pictures. Pictures are important as a thread is useless if the pictures are hosted by a 3rd party and the owner stops paying the fees.

OK, thanks.
Pain in the ass to deal with, I'll just limit the pics. Now I know what the max threshold is.

Some phones let you downsize on the fly, and some let you select the default size. All of them allow you to resize in one way or the other. I resize mine at the same time that I crop them to the subject material.

Some forum software, such as the type used by ShopFloorTalk has a automatic file reduction feature for pictures.

Ours does that too. It's invisible to the poster. But it does that after the upload. The upload itself gets done by the server not the forum. So it doesn't matter what the forum does, the server simply takes precedence. I believe our old limit was around 4Mb.

Pictures are important as a thread is useless if the pictures are hosted by a 3rd party and the owner stops paying the fees.

Yes, this is why we don't allow it. It has been a huge problem with photo hosting services in the past. It isn't just user fees, it's changing file storage policies and sites that fold or change their business models.

How about letting us link to external sites again....

Not likely gunna happen Dan. Those external sites have burned us (and many others) too many times in the past. See @Ironman's comment and my response above.

Question to the admin....
What are the specifications of pictures that can be posted? Suddenly 90% of my pictures are too large to be posted. Same old Sony camera at the same settings

Many forums display the photos at whatever size you up, so a 3000 pix wide photo is a pita and messes up the thread. A round of boos and hisses ensues. So, you get in the habit of resizing before upping. There are lots image resizer that can added to the shell extension, i.e. right click on the file in explorer and "resize" is an option. Makes it really convenient to reduce the photos, two clicks and done, then drag and drop. It saves it with a different file name so you still have the original full res photo

There are lots image resizer that can added to the shell extension, i.e. right click on the file in explorer and "resize" is an option. Makes it really convenient to reduce the photos, two clicks and done, then drag and drop. It saves it with a different file name so you still have the original full res photo

Android has a similar function in the Gallery App. Just open the photo, resize, and save or save as. I like using my android phone for this because I can take the photo, crop it, mark it up, resize it, and upload it to my post all without leaving the shop.

I don't have an iPhone or a Mac, but I've heard other users say that files can actually be resized during the upload/download process. Maybe an Apple fan can chime in here......

Do we need a forum forum with tips on using the forum itself?

I take (some) photos with the phone, but when it comes to posting or working with them, I'm a computer man. You don't have to open the file, just right click.

Many nowadays don't have a computer because they have a phone, I don't get that. Sure i'll make do with with the phone when its all there is, but man, a mouse, full size screen and keyboard is sooooo much better!

Many nowadays don't have a computer because they have a phone, I don't get that.

Believe it or not, I understand both perspectives.

Being a fellow who built his own pc and programmed his own OS and applications before there were any, I am about as computer literate as anyone. I was also one of the first 100 people to use the public internet. Then, as my career evolved and travel became so integral I also embraced mobile phones and soon after started texting using T9 on a number only dial pad. Then onto Palm Pilots, Blackberries, and now Android with full keyboards and apps that will do almost everything from semi professional photography to MSOffice and 1/2" farm field RTK Precision Navigation.

I have a state of the art desktop and a nice laptop. I use them as needed. But for me, my tool of choice is that handheld phone that is always with me everywhere I go. The convenience of doing everything WhereAs AsIs is hard to deny even if not as easy as a keyboard and mouse. It's basically convenience and speed vs power and immersion. As phones get bigger and smarter there is some convergence going on. But for now they are still different enough that there is plenty of room for individual preferences to satisfy everyone - each in their own way. Easy to understand and easy to accept.

I have "big" screen tasks, and "small" screen tasks. Business related stuff almost always falls into big screen tasks, and I just feel weird trying to do them on a phone. Like it just doesn't seem proper or something. It feels more legitimate being done on a laptop or computer. I still view phones and tablets as more entertainment related I guess.

Wife runs her entire Business from her phone, and it gives me anxiety just thinking about it lol.

I am in full swing harvesting garlic now. The undercutter is a joy to use and does the job perfectly. I had to adjust the top link once to increase the lift as it cuts, but it pulls easy and does a great job.
I also built a garlic washer to clean them and a root cutter, which burned up before it saw a garlic. The washer is awsome.

The undercutter is a joy to use and does the job perfectly.

Tree farms use an undercutter to cut the long roots (especially tap roots) under tree seedlings before digging them up and sending them out to nurseries and ministry planting programs. I'm particularly fond of bare-root planting of seedlings harvested this way. Just cut an "X" in the soil, lift, insert seedling, and step on the X to close them in. I've planted many thousands of trees that way and only lose about 5%. With watering, the results would be even better.

I am in full swing harvesting garlic now. The undercutter is a joy to use and does the job perfectly. I had to adjust the top link once to increase the lift as it cuts, but it pulls easy and does a great job.
I also built a garlic washer to clean them and a root cutter, which burned up before it saw a garlic. The washer is awsome.
A wise man (okay, it was Meatloaf) once said, "Two out of three ain't bad":rolleyes::p

If you are trying to slice the garlic just below the surface . . .
Maybe you could try ‘White Bean Pullers‘ which are hardened knives that cut the white bean stalks just below the ground surface. They are then windrowed 4 or 8 rows into a swath for combining. (I assume you can skip the combining) LOL.

We don't try to cut just under the bulb. Garlic will pull itself down to where it wants to be, usually 4 inches, so we undercut about 6 inches and with the angle of the blade set right, it also lifts, so the root pack is loosened. Then we can pull the bulb and it usually comes up with a clump of dirt.
Here is my daughters pictures, first one gives an idea of the root systems after undercutting and topping. second is starting the undercut and third is down the row a bit. Fourth on is the washing machine showing the trimmed roots.
With the 50 below we had in January, with bare dirt and no snow cover, we lost about 25% of this variety, as the frost heaved enough to rip off the root system.

Attachments

• 20240810_092343.jpg
    20240810_092343.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Untitled2.webp
    Untitled2.webp
    105.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    216.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240810_120759.jpg
    20240810_120759.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 16
Still looks pretty labour intensive to me....

What kind of soil does garlic like?

We don't try to cut just under the bulb. Garlic will pull itself down to where it wants to be, usually 4 inches, so we undercut about 6 inches and with the angle of the blade set right, it also lifts, so the root pack is loosened. Then we can pull the bulb and it usually comes up with a clump of dirt.
Here is my daughters pictures, first one gives an idea of the root systems after undercutting and topping. second is starting the undercut and third is down the row a bit. Fourth on is the washing machine showing the trimmed roots.
With the 50 below we had in January, with bare dirt and no snow cover, we lost about 25% of this variety, as the frost heaved enough to rip off the root system.
I never heard of a Tafe tractor before. I had to look them up. How do you like it?
Martin W

I never heard of a Tafe tractor before. I had to look them up. How do you like it?
Martin W
I'm very happy with it.
TAFE stands for Tractors And Farm Equipment. It is a Massey Ferguson produced under licence in Chenai, India.
TAFE in India bought a licence to build MF35's in 1960 and continued manufacturing them until 2002. Yugoslavian firm Industry of Machinery and Tractors also bought a licence to build Massey Ferguson tractors, marketing the MF35 as the IMT533 and IMT539. In 2014 variants of the MF35 were still being built in India, Pakistan and Turkey. In 2015 Agco, owners of the Massey Ferguson brand, relaunched the MF35 in the East African market as the "People's tractor"
So, as it is an amazingly well designed and thought out machine, the licence owners make their money from licences rather than manufacturing. All parts interchange except bolts The English made tractors are Imperial, and all other metric. The metric version of the Perkins diesel is called Simpson, parts fit.

Last edited:
Back