The ultimate adjustable lathe chuck: RenzTrue?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We have all heard of ”Set-True” or ”Adjust-True”, etc, chucks. Some have even seen Dan Gelbart’s adjustable chuck. Now Robin Renzetti has developed his version of it.

In this video he also shows (yet again) how “everything is rubber” and how - with relatively simple design improvements - the stiffness of tools / parts can be improved drastically.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In this video he also shows (yet again) how “everything is rubber” and how - with relatively simple design improvements - the stiffness of tools / parts can be improved drastically.

It will take me a while to watch it but I will. It looks promising. Forgive me a small bitch - even Robin took forever to describe deburring. I got the message in the first 5 seconds - didn't need 5 minutes.

I do like the "Everything is Rubber" statement. I have often said here in the forum that "absolutely everything moves - it isn't if, it's only how much". Maybe I'm guilty if too many words too, but I firmly believe that the relationship between stress and strain is a concept that is poorly understood by too many machinists.

Just last night I was machining an adapter for an tractor engine starter for a neighbour. It's made of 1" plate. It needed to bored out to fit the new generation of starters which are 60 thou larger in diameter.

20230613_202142~2.jpg

He didn't think the Jaws were tight enough cuz I didn't gronk on them. After a quick, "Who is doing this - me or you?" I showed him how much it would deform if I did. He was blown away. After that he just asked why - not you should. Ya, even 1" plate bends quite noticeably.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
Using a flower tray with a T-slot can be a good tool to reduce deformation because the workpiece has two holes that can be used to screw into the flower tray
images