The Scammers Must Never Sleep

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Years ago I had anoying calls.
I kept one of those small compressed air boat horns by the phone and gave a good blast into the mic.
I laughed for a week
Didnt get any more calls for a loong time.
True story.
I would highly reccomend it !
Lately it's been 4 rings until the answering machine gets it and then no message. Always around 8:30AM. If we do answer it's silent. No noise. Nothing.

Just imagine if everyone of those calls resulted in a $100 charge to their number. And if it's done with a burner phone the burner has to have enough credit in order to be able to pay the $100 fee if that's the reason. And again, that number would have to be on record for at least 5x that sort of disturbance.

The horn idea is nice but in this day and age it's a call center in India where the computer dials the number automatically. If there's an operator available when the number makes the connection then the audio is connected. If not the connection is terminated until the next one. If you do happen to get a real person blowing a horn in their ear means you're bugging some low level employee who has no control over which number is called.

It would all be easy to fix but then Big Brothers, Red Cross, Fireman's Donations etc. etc. would unable to solicit funds. Not to mention political parties. And there's the real reason nothing is being done.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I had one like this a while back.......

Mr. so and so, this is the internal revenue service calling and you're in big trouble now!

If you don't make arrangements for payment immediately we will need to send the army for enforcement.

The SWAT team did not rappel through my window with full night vision goggles and a blazing Uzi, so I guess I just got lucky;-)

The tip off was the other hundred similar conversations going on in the background;-)

At least the calls are entertaining.

This thread has potential for a lot of laughs, keep them coming.
yup or they will use the services of a district attorney, and get a Walgreens Card...but we live in Canada

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My favourite one is: "You Royal Bank Client card starting with 4519" Like 3/4 of them start with that...

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
My favourite one is: "You Royal Bank Client card starting with 4519" Like 3/4 of them start with that...
Yes. Those have been showing up for a while. The first 4 digits identify the bank. Now if they had the middle 4 digits I'd be more worried since those are always X'd out. Or if the spammer wanting bit coin he'll release the video of me pleasing myself since he's doctored the email to make it look like it came from my PC. If he really wanted to scare me he should send me that non-existent video.
And yet I think people must fall for that crap.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Years ago when there was just the telephone to communicate we had just arrived home when the phone rings, Dad runs upstairs stubbing his toe on the way only to find it’s a prank call! The poor guy was hooked on Nalley’s Potato chips Dad talked with him for a good half hour bouncing ideas off him on how to stop his addiction.

terry_g

Ultra Member
Many years ago when I was in my late teens and living with my parents. We lived in a tiny hick town 12 miles from a larger town. Our phone number was 846-5554, one of the two takeout restaurants in the other town their number was 847-5554. Periodically we would get a call meant for the restaurant.
My parents would always tell them they had the wrong number. If I answered I would take their order write it down read it back and make sure it was correct then get their address and phone number. I would tell them that there was a long line at the till and if they wanted I could call back with the price. They usually said don't worry about it. Then I would call them back right away to verify the phone number as that is what takeout restaurants did back then. I always wondered how long before they called the restaurant wondering what was taking so long.

trevj

Ultra Member
Many years ago when I was in my late teens and living with my parents. We lived in a tiny hick town 12 miles from a larger town. Our phone number was 846-5554, one of the two takeout restaurants in the other town their number was 847-5554. Periodically we would get a call meant for the restaurant.
My parents would always tell them they had the wrong number. If I answered I would take their order write it down read it back and make sure it was correct then get their address and phone number. I would tell them that there was a long line at the till and if they wanted I could call back with the price. They usually said don't worry about it. Then I would call them back right away to verify the phone number as that is what takeout restaurants did back then. I always wondered how long before they called the restaurant wondering what was taking so long.
A LONG time back, I was a young Private in the Forces, living in the barracks in Comox. Early 1980's.

The local area used the 3 digit prefixes of 335, 336, 337, 338, and 339, on their phone numbers. Maybe still do.

My neighbor in the barracks, had a phone, and the print shop messes up and put his prefix, on a bunch of Pizza flyers. He approached the Pizza joint, to have them cover the cost of changing out his phone, since he was being awakened around the clock by folks wanting pizzas. They refused.

Rather than roll over and eat the costs, he started taking late night Pizza Orders. When the customers called back, wondering why their pizza was not already there, he would tell them it wasn't really his concern what they thought about how long it was taking. If they were really angry, he'd start talking smack, and telling them if they thought they had it in them, to come down to the pizza joint, to settle it personally!

A couple weekends of never ending pissed off drunks looking to settle a score, and the Pizza place finally figured out what was going on, called the guy and offered to pay to change his number!

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
You're why we can't have nice things:p

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Watch your phones as well, the SIM swap scam is alive and well. There was a news report where a couple lost $140k from their crypto currency account.

MrWhoopee

Selling some retractors on FB. Got a serious sounding inquiry, then he wanted to call me, then he wanted to send a code to "make sure I was a real seller". NOT!

MrWhoopee

Years ago I had anoying calls.
I kept one of those small compressed air boat horns by the phone and gave a good blast into the mic.
I laughed for a week
Didnt get any more calls for a loong time.
True story.
I would highly reccomend it !
Used to keep a whistle handy for that, air horn is even better. Start by speaking really softly so they are listening closely. Maybe they even turn up the volume.

trevj

Ultra Member
Watch your phones as well, the SIM swap scam is alive and well. There was a news report where a couple lost $140k from their crypto currency account.
I actually resent that my phone knows my name. I don't need it to run my BBQ, and I don't want it telling any App makers the W-5 answers to my life.

I don't Bank on my phone, email, or have my Credit Card tied to any accounts on it. It's a PHONE! With some TEXT messaging abilities that I resent the cost of!

And frankly, I think that the folks that get raped on stuff like the sim-swap scam, are getting what the stupid deserve, except they are getting hit with an imaginary (though maybe no less painful!) stick, instead of the real one that used to be used! Reality is, that ANY information that is transmitted, should be considered to be available for ANYONE to read and use! Security in the Cell world is not 'quite' that poor, but the more you learn about the stuff, the less likely you are liable to randomly just click "OK" when an App or Program asks you to!

Yer not allowed to hit the stupid with sticks any more, and you can't duct tape them in place so as to get ahead of their stupid, before it affects you! Shame that!