• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

The hairy guy asked me

Ironman

Ultra Member
To introduce myself, so....
I have spent 35 years in the mining industry as a underground miner, supervisor and eventually a small contractor driving access ramps and bulk samples. I worked as a machinist for one year and the mining money called me back.
I have a lifetime collection of tools and still have the Indestro 1/2" socket set I bought when I was 16. At my age I have more equipment and tools than I have ambition. Lets see, Propane cutting torch, 400 amp welder, stick and wirefeeder and a little Lincoln I use for the light stuff. A Enerpac press, and 20 ton Mubea ironworker missing the punches, but it mostly is used to shear. I have a 14x48 Western lathe and a Lagun FT3 mill, and the never ending tooling for these things. In 2007 I bought a plasma table and 80 amp Hypertherm. I'm sure there is stuff I forgot, but then there is my shop. In 2009 I built my first shop, I used 2 Seacans spaced 30 ft apart on screw piles, with concrete floor in between. It was a joy to have a concrete floor instead of grass in front of a chicken shack. It is a 40 x 46 floor plan and one can is my machine shop, the other is cold storage. Playspace in the middle.
My other hobby is guns, in the subsonic range, and bullet casting.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
To introduce myself, so....
I have spent 35 years in the mining industry as a underground miner, supervisor and eventually a small contractor driving access ramps and bulk samples. I worked as a machinist for one year and the mining money called me back.
I have a lifetime collection of tools and still have the Indestro 1/2" socket set I bought when I was 16. At my age I have more equipment and tools than I have ambition. Lets see, Propane cutting torch, 400 amp welder, stick and wirefeeder and a little Lincoln I use for the light stuff. A Enerpac press, and 20 ton Mubea ironworker missing the punches, but it mostly is used to shear. I have a 14x48 Western lathe and a Lagun FT3 mill, and the never ending tooling for these things. In 2007 I bought a plasma table and 80 amp Hypertherm. I'm sure there is stuff I forgot, but then there is my shop. In 2009 I built my first shop, I used 2 Seacans spaced 30 ft apart on screw piles, with concrete floor in between. It was a joy to have a concrete floor instead of grass in front of a chicken shack. It is a 40 x 46 floor plan and one can is my machine shop, the other is cold storage. Playspace in the middle.
My other hobby is guns, in the subsonic range, and bullet casting.
welcome from Toronto.

Tecnico

(Dave)
A big Maritime welcome from Nova Scotia! Looking forward to hearing about your projects.

D :cool:

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You are close by, and my 4 kids live in Edmonton. But maybe this will offend the eastern anti-gun crowd, and so maybe this discussion would be best off the board.

I doubt there are any members in the east who would be offended. It's an overall forum policy not a regional bias. The average easterner might be different though - I dunno. Anyway, it is best to discuss such things off-line to stay inside policy limits AND AVOID getting political which is against policy too! LOL!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
You are close by, and my 4 kids live in Edmonton. But maybe this will offend the eastern anti-gun crowd, and so maybe this discussion would be best off the board.
don’t paint all of us easterners with a broad brush, please

it’s not an undue accusation, but there are still a few of us who dabble in the black arts in the east

as @Susquatch points out it’s more a non-topic or at least a hush topic yet machining is closely tied to things that go bang....at least forum wise

we have a few highly skilled machinists who lean the right way within our ranks :D