The Brent H update thread!

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey folks,

All is good, I will provide a big update as soon as possible. Lots of new members and lots of great conversations…..

@Susquatch : I now have a 64 Massey Ferguson 35 (gas) and implements to figure out ( blowing snow all day today)

Building a “carriage house” for the tractor and side by side, cutting trees, digging trenches for gas, building my bar, brewing beer and wine….retirement has not been easy- LOL.

I will update soon with pics as @Dabbler and I chatted about a month ago and I was going to post the move etc…..I failed….. crazy times!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch : I now have a 64 Massey Ferguson 35 (gas) and implements to figure out ( blowing snow all day today)

Building a “carriage house” for the tractor and side by side, cutting trees, digging trenches for gas, building my bar, brewing beer and wine….retirement has not been easy- LOL.

I (we) but especially me, I, us, the gang.... All miss you.

A tractor and a blower are gifts from God! No snow accumulating here yet - just a few snow showers. Need to rearrange the barn to accommodate the tractors before the cold hits. A carriage house sounds awesome!

Whoever it was who said retirement was about not working anymore hasn't retired yet.......

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Glad to hear you're keeping busy. I was out your way in Sept. We stayed a night in Harvey on our way out to Charlottetown. I thought you were down around that area, but didn't realize how close until I just looked it up.

I have a '63 tractor same as yours. No blower though just a blade. I bought it after the first snowfall we got when we moved to the country. I shoveled half the driveway, then went inside for a break, and bought the closest, cheapest tractor I could find with a blade on kijiji lol. I showed up with a snowsuit ready to drive it home, but the guy took pity on me and delivered it the next morning. Half because he felt sorry for me, and half because he figured it probably wouldn't have made the journey..... It sure moved a lot of snow for a long time though. But I get about 10 hours of run time, for every hour of working on it. I do it with a Jeep now, and there's no going back. Heater, cab, radio....cup holder...almost makes it fun.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But I get about 10 hours of run time, for every hour of working on it. I do it with a Jeep now, and there's no going back. Heater, cab, radio....cup holder...almost makes it fun.

I still sometimes use a blade for light snow, but... a blower dwarfs and trumps all other things for snow deeper than 3 or 4 inches and or drifts by a very wide margin.

Can't really easily do a blower with a Jeep.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Hey folks,

All is good, I will provide a big update as soon as possible. Lots of new members and lots of great conversations…..

Hi neighbour! What is this snow you speak of? ….I’m only another 4 or so hours down the road…..maybe you should have kept going a bit further south. ;)

Good to hear you’re settling in and figuring out “retirement”.

Looking forward to the updates. :)

D :cool:

P.S. You need to update your .sig file…….Barrie no more!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I still sometimes use a blade for light snow, but... a blower dwarfs and trumps all other things for snow deeper than 3 or 4 inches and or drifts by a very wide margin.

Can't really easily do a blower with a Jeep.
Yes, I agree. They both have their merits. I'm hoping to finish building the blower for my Kubota mower shortly. Never hurts to have options.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Well that posted out of my control - anyway, clearing dead trees and scrub and now have a sweet view!

Hot tub installed -Ahhhhhhhh

Basement bar/games room coming along

Walk in closet set for the boss!!

Mini split installed for shop heat!!

Construction of the Carriage House!

Brent H

Ultra Member
For the process review:

We bought a place in New Brunswick last year. It is about a 16 hour one way drive from our place in Ontario. Over the course of August 2022 to July 2023 I made 9 round trips with a loaded trailer and truck. The house needed the basement insulated, renovated a bunch of stuff (like the closet) fixed electrical, plumbing issues. Gutted the 24x40 shop that was a “grow op” and set up shop.

The Move:

@Chicken lights arrived Thursday July 21, we ate and hatched the final move plan…. Friday my neighbour popped over with his fork truck, I had prepacked about 30 pallets of stuff. We loaded the Mill and the sharpener into the 53 foot box and then began to load the pallets. @Chicken lights taught my youngest boy the do and don’t of the pallet jack and we worked like a team. Loaded my new saw mill and lawn tractor. It was a stuff to the end. Totally full!

I left just after Dave did with a full truck of stuff. Dave headed his load East!

I arrived Saturday and prepped for the off load. Dave (@Chicken lights) arrived Sunday. Monday, my cousin and a fork truck arrived (fork truck was late (grrr). My brother in law and his boys also arrived! Once we were going, Dave coordinated the off load and I coordinated the “in load”. A 53 footer empty in about 3 hours!!

That was July 24th. Since then it has been crazy!!!

- new car for one kid,
- registered all of us to be from NB
- set up partial shop (still no lathes etc running :( )
- mega reno’s with full basement insulation, drywall, paint, ceilings etc
-several trips to Nova Scotia (my uncle passed and we moved a bunch of stuff )
- lot clearing and taking down about a hundred trees
- installing hot tub :)
Totally crazy

Today I sit with Mom and Dad’s dog as Lori is off driving them for a whirlwind tour of all their family they haven’t seen in about 3 years. Christmas packages all heading further east to Cape Breton!

I will get pics figured out. Basically I built a 22x24 carriage house with a 10/12 pitch to allow for a 11x24 storage area. I have been moving all my metal etc over there to get more space in the Shop. I now can see getting the head back on Bridget and getting Miss Metric/Mr Imperial into a position where we can do things!!

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : I can send you the truss design if you wish.

Last couple weeks has just been hammering out the building to get the pallets of steel off the driveway and we are running in propane so I have all that going on….

On the flip side I am brewing beer and making wine and cider. So far - delicious and very tasty after a full day!!