• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

The battle of the Harrisons

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Facebook 15 is $2500

317945755_9006247986059624_8797104426702089149_n.jpg

Kijiji 15 is $4000 after recent price drop. I expect another one before it sells.

749513a0-5b54-417c-b394-deef6aa0db27

Gordie

Dear fellow maker, if I can employ that term, a question: "how on earth do you have time to find all these posts"? Not that I'm complaining.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Dear fellow maker, if I can employ that term, a question: "how on earth do you have time to find all these posts"? Not that I'm complaining.
I have a system, and use alerts.

I check a series of sites for new listings 4 times a day. My bookmarks bar is reserved exclusively for sites that have machine tools for sale, oh and wordle.

And if I know someone is looking for specific machine I give them the heads up so they can get a jump on others

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, in Ontario this is easy - you have a ton of machines that are used for low $.

There is no way a Harrison 15 would sit around in Alberta for long.

Its bigger cousin (16") sells for at least 6000 - and I seen them go up to 10,000 on auctions.

I actually wanted a Harrison but it was like 1000km up north and went for well over 6000 on auction - so a big risk to buy without even seeing it + it was like 3 years ago.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Thanks, I will look up wordle. I am re-calibrating my toolroom dreams. I will mostly be making small parts and tools with fine threads. I'm thinking of a Hardinge clone, Cyclematic, Sharpe, Babin, or similar toolroom lathes. There's a Feeler 440v also a Hardinge HLV clone at
Best Regards, DGC
expensive choices if you want screw cutting options, otherwise there are some good deals to be had, at least in Ontario

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Well, in Ontario this is easy - you have a ton of machines that are used for low $.

There is no way a Harrison 15 would sit around in Alberta for long.

Its bigger cousin (16") sells for at least 6000 - and I seen them go up to 10,000 on auctions.

I actually wanted a Harrison but it was like 1000km up north and went for well over 6000 on auction - so a big risk to buy without even seeing it + it was like 3 years ago.

IF I had facebook and a way to contact the seller of the one for $2500 I'd seriously consider giving it a look, but it has weird voltage and is too big.

Gordie

I don't need automated screw-cutting, but hoo boy, it's slick to watch. Sorry, I may be messing up this thread.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I don't need automated screw-cutting, but hoo boy, it's slick to watch. Sorry, I may be messing up this thread.
I didn't mean automated.. I meant just the ability, since many of the babin, hardinge and feeler second operation lathes dont have a lead screw

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Thanks, I will look up wordle. I am re-calibrating my toolroom dreams. I will mostly be making small parts and tools with fine threads. I'm thinking of a Hardinge clone, Cyclematic, Sharpe, Babin, or similar toolroom lathes. There's a Feeler 440v also a Hardinge HLV clone at
Best Regards, DGC

Yeah it feels to me I saw this same machine for sale long, long time ago - so they been trying now for like over a year? Too expensive.

Gordie

The price of the Feeler has dropped twice. I think that it's located in Trois Rivieres but advertised across Canada Buyers may be put off by the seller's requirement to submit your credentials.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks, I will look up wordle.

I think he is pulling your leg with that one......

I get drowned in suggestions constantly. All you need is Google Home. If you tell your wife what you are looking for, Google is listening and she will send you adds till you turn blue. Just be very specific or you end up like me - too saturated to pay attention anymore!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I think he is pulling your leg with that one......

I get drowned in suggestions constantly. All you need is Google Home. If you tell your wife what you are looking for, Google is listening and she will send you adds till you turn blue. Just be very specific or you end up like me - too saturated to pay attention anymore!
No no, I was not pulling anyone's leg. I play wordle every day at 12:01 before I go to bed. It's to keep my brain sharp.

I have a system, and use alerts.

I check a series of sites for new listings 4 times a day. My bookmarks bar is reserved exclusively for sites that have machine tools for sale, oh and wordle.

And if I know someone is looking for specific machine I give them the heads up so they can get a jump on others
Wow! Thats amazing! And I thought I was a shopaholic/toolaholic!!!! :D

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
ProTip:

If you are searching for something on kijiji you can do a lot to boost the chances that their algorithm will send you the best suggestions

Use alerts, make them very precise.

Search ALL OF CANADA for items you want and then favourite those too far away, or too much money... because the alert uses your favourites to find similar items for you. Use up all your favourite options but two or three. Scan your kijiji homepage every time you log in... scroll down and show more items too

I used these methods to find a brand new radius and angle dresser for peanuts. I had 5 different styles of them in my favourites for 3 months until I got one I wanted in my feed

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
ProTip:

If you are searching for something on kijiji you can do a lot to boost the chances that their algorithm will send you the best suggestions

Use alerts, make them very precise.

Search ALL OF CANADA for items you want and then favourite those too far away, or too much money... because the alert uses your favourites to find similar items for you. Use up all your favourite options but two or three. Scan your kijiji homepage every time you log in... scroll down and show more items too

I used these methods to find a brand new radius and angle dresser for peanuts. I had 5 different styles of them in my favourites for 3 months until I got one I wanted in my feed

Please allow me to add another pro tip. When you make your searches, also try to think of ways to mis-spell what you are looking for and make duplicate searches for that too. I find it amazing how many things get posted in the wrong category or as some weird thing nobody has ever heard of. A good example is plow and plough or lathe or layth or lath. The advantage of this is that you might find yourself the only buyer for something that should be selling like hot cakes and you can get a better deal without burning rubber to make sure nobody scoops it out from under you, or better yet something that has been sitting for weeks.