Thankful things, 2026 edition, in no particular order:
My wife and I love each other, and make each other laugh
I have wonderful siblings (and their spouses), sons, stepdaughters (and their spouses), grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and a very tolerant daughter-in-law
I live in a nice house in a beautiful location
My generation and our children have never been asked, or been expected, to go to war
I made a good wage, and was diligent and prudent in saving for retirement
For 45+ years, I had never been out of work except by my choice (three weeks in 1981)
In retirement I have things to do that keep my mind and body active.
I have an insanely cute and very smart dog, who forces me to go outside a few times every day.
I contract to do projects for a friend’s company, and the ability to say yes or no to any request depends on my level of interest in the task, not whether or not I need the money.
I have very few unmet wants, and no unmet needs
The few times I have needed to be hospitalized, I emerged with both my body repaired and my mortgage unscathed
I can be at a dinner table with my ex-wife and be comfortable that while we may not love each other, we tolerate each other and can say " do you remember when" and only talk about the good times
I have almost as much stuff as I want
My mind is kept active with endeavours that I generally enjoy
While our government(s) aren’t perfect, in general they try to do a good job without much histrionics
I'm sure there's more, but I have much to do today
My wife and I love each other, and make each other laugh
I have wonderful siblings (and their spouses), sons, stepdaughters (and their spouses), grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and a very tolerant daughter-in-law
I live in a nice house in a beautiful location
My generation and our children have never been asked, or been expected, to go to war
I made a good wage, and was diligent and prudent in saving for retirement
For 45+ years, I had never been out of work except by my choice (three weeks in 1981)
In retirement I have things to do that keep my mind and body active.
I have an insanely cute and very smart dog, who forces me to go outside a few times every day.
I contract to do projects for a friend’s company, and the ability to say yes or no to any request depends on my level of interest in the task, not whether or not I need the money.
I have very few unmet wants, and no unmet needs
The few times I have needed to be hospitalized, I emerged with both my body repaired and my mortgage unscathed
I can be at a dinner table with my ex-wife and be comfortable that while we may not love each other, we tolerate each other and can say " do you remember when" and only talk about the good times
I have almost as much stuff as I want
My mind is kept active with endeavours that I generally enjoy
While our government(s) aren’t perfect, in general they try to do a good job without much histrionics
I'm sure there's more, but I have much to do today
