• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Testing 3 phase motors

I have a couple of used 220V 3phase motors I'm hoping to use in my projects. Thought I should start by testing the motors. I don't have a megger but do have a couple of multimeters. Followed the protocol on link below for the multimeter tests. Everything there looks good. Is a megger test a better way to analyze the motors condition?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I just... plug them in. I also assume all 3ph motors that do not look like they were hit by a truck are working. So far, after dealing with dozens and dozens of 3ph motors I have yet to find a single one that does not work.

I think burning out 3ph motor today is very rare as most are part of industrial machinery that is protected with magnetic switch and associated overload breaker (they are like 99% together).

Heck, I would not be surprised if some motors hit by a truck, but not too hard, were working as well. Some motors abandomed in farmer fields for years, loaded with mud, worked fine after removing all soil and grass from them. I guess maybe mice getting in could be an issue - especially for motors that are not fully enclosed. Or some serious rust issues - like rusting through the frame.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Canadium : “typically” 3 phase motors only have issues with:

Worn bearings ( typically easy change and should be done on any suspect motor)

Insulation breakdown: old motors that were in frequent use (age) or - high temp environment, ran with alignment issues (over heating)

Foreign particulate - contamination. So a “drip proof motor - not sealed (TEFC) and full of grease, fillings etc that help with heat build up or shorting things out.

Pretty robust. A megger test will help determine a condition - say a motor used in a damp, wet environment or such. Lots of motors are good to go with a proper cleaning, drying out and new bearings.