• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Teeny metric hex drivers

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm using small metric fasteners quite a bit, more recently M2 set screws. I have hex wrenches down to 0.9mm. I think actually purchased through KBC. But they are not great quality. I constantly re-dress the end. If you snip them with side cutters they don't put up much resistance vs good ones make a hard snap. Anyway, chowdering the female socket & having set screw stuck in the part would be a bad day.
I noticed RC heli & car guys using these knured handled drivers. I figured they were bling-bling but tried a few & they are actually very decent quality. The hex has remained perfectly sharp over time, the shank itself is replaceable, the handle is nicely knurled (hollow so light weight). Good value IMO & 90% of time I don't need the 'L' shape.. Anyway I fired off an AliExpress order to complete the missing smaller range plus some replacement shanks. They come in all flavors of color & whatnot, just providing sample picture. Fingers crossed they are decent.

Attachments

• SNAG-2023-02-04 9.55.52 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-02-04 9.55.52 PM.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 20
  • SNAG-2023-02-04 9.56.00 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-02-04 9.56.00 PM.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 21
  • SNAG-2023-02-04 9.56.15 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-02-04 9.56.15 PM.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 21

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
deleted, was thinking hex driver as in nut driver. I've got the Wahi hex set, goes down to 0.7mm. They are awfully proud of them, but they are nice quality. Let us know what those are like when they arrive.

Last edited:

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
i tossed all my cheap Mastercraft hex wrenches in the scrap pile. It took almost nothing to roll over and chowder up the ends. They made a most satisfying clunk when they landed in the bin. Replaced them with USA made Bondhaus, although Wiha and Wera are also both very good.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dang. You guys reminded me of something. Why didn't I think of Wera (the other similar name). They are going to revoke my fanboy membership card.
I feel like I've been down this road before, the straight hex set is not as common in Kanuckistan for some reason. Amazon dot com though. I have a Wera ball set but doesn't go to 0.9.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have a set of Wera torx screwdrivers, and I've used them daily for about 7-8 years changing inserts in tooling at work and have never worn one out, or destroyed screws (more than normal). I'd bet those mini hex drivers are of the same quality. Wera make quality tools.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks. Double Dang. Well, a guy cant have enough miniature hex drivers around the shop I always like to say LOL.
Now I'm afraid to look in my RC tool box, probably a set in there.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Or, you could buy a powered screwdriver set with EVERY possible miniature bit! This set has 0.7mm - 3.5mm and Torx from T2 to T20 as well as 2-Pin, 5 point and other odd bits. 4mm HEX shank. Includes a USB chargeable driver.

Cost was about $25 on Amaz*n. The bits are very hard and durable.
Screwdriver set98.jpeg Screwdriver set99.jpeg

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
E82EB719-D012-459F-B72B-519A34D2BF14.jpeg I got those little guys off the tool truck, it’a kinda nice having the extra reach. But there’s no part number on them, which is odd. Just labeled ‘USA’

Anyway Snap on only goes down to 2mm, so I’m no help

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, RC guys use a style like that. Cordless drivers with sensitive clutch setting make for much quicker assembly/disassembly, or they can be used with a universal manual handle.
I use to make specific sized tools for the field box. Just need to get that undercut profile on the hex shank. You can silver solder the key or just drive them into slightly undersize hole with the hex torched red hot.

Attachments

• SNAG-2023-02-05 7.28.54 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-02-05 7.28.54 PM.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 2
  • SNAG-2023-02-05 7.29.16 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-02-05 7.29.16 PM.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 2

r-sim

I can't say anything about those specific drivers, but I'll attest to the quality of good RC gear - I've had the same set of Hudy hex drivers (one of the original brands, that all of those knurled hex drivers you see are knock-offs of) for over 20 years now. In that time I've only replaced the tip of the smallest size once, and that was due to a design issue with what I was assembling. It got the job done but was the worse for it, and I am sure that no other driver would've survived even that well given how far out of spec the torque required was! I also have a set of MIP hex driver bits (the other original RC hex driver brand) for my electric screwdriver for when I've got a lot of screws to do and want to give my hands a break from the knurling. The best part of having high-quality hex drivers is not stripping the heads of screws!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My straight hex Wera's showed up. Very nice quality. I'm a happy micro-wrencher again. Guess we'll see how the Ali ones fare when they show up. I've gone from hex famine to hex obesity.

Attachments

• IMG_5225_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5225_edited-1.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5227_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5227_edited-1.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5228_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_5228_edited-1.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 4