• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tapered end mill usage/applications?

WilliamR

Very basic question, wondered what practical uses were for tapered endmills? I read less deflection, just wondered what they were all about?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Usually these are used to carve the sloping sides (draft) in a mould or form. Actually there would be more deflection than with a cylindrical cutter.

For sure, prior to 3D modelling tapered endmills were used on the locking walls of molds.
A good friend of mine ran an old droop & rein duplicator at Tyco's tool & Die, producing Fasia molds. Ohhh, doesn't that just take ya back in time...
Today, they have Mecofs, Parpas, hurco machines.
I could park 3 of my cars back to front or side by each up on some of the machine tables @ Tyco's. Not to mention, train rails along the floor for transporting the molds between departments.
Anyway, cool shop to say the least!