• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

T Bolts

Matt_b_m

I just found this which might solve the issue as well... This going back to the concept that Kylemp mentioned of going to an MT#3.

http://www.icscuttingtools.com/catalog/page_093.pdf

Top of the page has the listing of sleeve extensions, the bottom is just the sleeve.

This of course wouldn't correct the tight tolerance I have with the length of my tapers...

I'm going to reach out to these guys and see what they can do. Perhaps something is available locally as well.

kylemp

The way I see it you've got 4(ish) options..
1) Take enough material away until you get to the desired large ID. You lose the 5/8" off the ram but you end up with something that works (hopefully).
The easiest way I can think of to try this is take an MT2 arbor and run it in and see if it seats. If not, you've got a bigger problem and you have to go to a new ram (or quill if thats what you want to call it) or proceed below.

2) Ream out to MT3. This is going to depend heavily of how much depth you have to work with, and how much meat will be left over on the OD.

3) Get a new tailstock ram /quill. If you get lucky, another machine will have the same size or you can find one somewhere for a decent price.

4) Either machine a sleeve to sit in and close the gap (which you will probably want to cement in the bore somehow), or bore the whole tailstock out and make a sleeve that presses into the ram that you can machine in place.. or try adding material to the bore but I dont think thats reasonable.

(ish) - You might be able to go the MT2 to MT2 adaptor but you are going to lose a LOT of length for center to center distances by the time your done, if it even works. Likely you will run into the same issue and have to machine down the sleeve either way just to get it to seat in the bore.

Oh, and dont worry about the tangs, tapers are supposed to be slight tapers so that the friction holds them in, not the tang. You do need to think about that though, if you want to run MT with a tang, you need more space at the back.

Matt_b_m

Thanks Kylemp, that is pretty much where I think I'm at with options. It's not the end of the world for sure, and I will get it resolved and functional.

If any of you happen to be around your lathe with an MT#2, I'd be curious to know what the length of the arbor is on some of your tapers minus the tang of course. I'm just curious to know if they are all as close as mine to 2.560 for the taper length.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I had a similar thought about adapting a commercial sleeve extension. I'm guessing it would still have center drill in tail end so you could turn it between centers and 'extend' the taper by cutting into the straight shank segment? That then gets landed in your oversize taper. But it will stick out further & I'm not sure how you would eject tooling. Kind of looks like it has a slot window intended for a tapered drift. Hmm.. thorny issue.

Attachments

• 12-20-2015 0005.jpg
    12-20-2015 0005.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 4