• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Switch problems

Tips/Techniques

Shoprat

Ok guys. ,,,, need some electrical switch help.. on my new to me, Chin Hung lathe I found that the 2speed selector switch had broken inside 5hat panel, only allowing a low speed selection. The switch pic is attached. Any ideas.

Attachments

• D1805D61-FE20-45FF-8213-5E408C5DF0D4.jpeg
    D1805D61-FE20-45FF-8213-5E408C5DF0D4.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 99AEE6D9-B9F1-41AC-A849-D84DA915966F.jpeg
    99AEE6D9-B9F1-41AC-A849-D84DA915966F.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 33
  • A6E8FA6F-EB25-4C12-9B64-FCE1EA59BE5B.jpeg
    A6E8FA6F-EB25-4C12-9B64-FCE1EA59BE5B.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 35

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What input are you looking for?

I agree. It looks broken to me too.

Looks like it has been hit or otherwise physically damaged. It does not look like it got damaged by an electrical problem.

Which is a good thing. You can just replace it and hope everything works the way it should.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
pretty standard switch, and yours is toast.

Wiring diagram of the switch:

Any chance there’s a wiring diagram on the lathe?

PA stocks generic modular switches that can be configured to duplicate the existing switch.

Shoprat

pretty standard switch, and yours is toast.

Wiring diagram of the switch:

Any chance there’s a wiring diagram on the lathe?

PA stocks generic modular switches that can be configured to duplicate the existing switch.
No not that I could find. This present switch has a zillion parts. Have you ever ordered from yoycart?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I just grabbed the yoycart info as the first one I could find that had a switch diagram. Questions:

Does your lathe have a control box with fuses/breakers and relays?

How many wires going to the existing switch?

Might be able to work out the Princess Auto part numbers to make up a replacement switch.

Shoprat

I just grabbed the yoycart info as the first one I could find that had a switch diagram. Questions:

Does your lathe have a control box with fuses/breakers and relays?

How many wires going to the existing switch?

Might be able to work out the Princess Auto part numbers to make up a replacement switch.
I will be back in the shop a little later, going to grab you a bunch of shots.

Shoprat

Finally got some good info for you. Really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    485.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4113.jpeg
    IMG_4113.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4119.jpeg
    IMG_4119.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 21

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Through a gross misunderstanding of how a valve worked, I once set fire to a Terex Titan earthmover. $100k up in smoke.

Did you know that mid-70s Freightliners made in BC were positive ground? And a 10 amp fuse on a 5 amp short to ground will never blow? But 5 amps at 24 volt is enough to start a fire? I learned this.

Much of human ingenuity gets wasted on discovering new ways to destroy things.

Last edited:
Through a gross misunderstanding of how a valve worked, I once set fire to a Terex Titan earthmover. $100k up in smoke.

Did you know that mid-70s Freightliners made in BC were positive ground? And a 10 amp fuse on a 5 amp short to ground will never blow? But 5 amps at 24 volt is enough to start a fire? I learned this.

Much of human ingenuity gets wasted on discovering new ways to destroy things.
This falls under "Do as I say, don't do as I do....."