• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Suggestions for places to store vehicles over the winter?

Xyphota

Ultra Member
My Dad has a 1970s VW beetle, which to be honest is kind of a jalopy and only gets driven twice a year, but he loves it and thats all that matters haha! I would like to use the garage space that his bug occupies over the winter so does anybody have suggestions on other places to store the vehicle in Calgary? The only places I've found so far all want $250/month which seems pretty high to me.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Not sure about the Calgary location but Lift King near Regina does storage on lifts in their showroom.
Maybe Calgary does too.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
If your willing to do outdoors with a cover any of those trailer storage places, most of them have a variety of sized spots, smaller being cheaper and about right for a car

And...most of them don't care what you put there, so long as you pay

Xyphota

Ultra Member
The beetle is a convertible so the weight of the snow on a soft cover might be problematic, so I think I’m restricted to garages. It doesnt need to be heated.

I did see some people selling garage space on Kijiji. Some people want $400 a month which I think is a bit delusional, but I did see one for $150 so I might be able to swing that.

I did message Lift King so I’ll see what they say. The beetle is not in great shape so it wouldnt look great on their display LOL.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I’m a bit apprehensive about the budget friendly temporary car shelters. Every shelter under like $2k has mediocre reviews all complaining about the fabric ripping. If anyone has a model they’ve had a good experience with in Calgary, I’d be interested in hearing about it!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I’m a bit apprehensive about the budget friendly temporary car shelters. Every shelter under like $2k has mediocre reviews all complaining about the fabric ripping. If anyone has a model they’ve had a good experience with in Calgary, I’d be interested in hearing about it!
I'm not sure whether or not they are still in business but I have a HARNOIS shelter and it has been great. I got the extra heavy duty version and although I I'd replace the cover once after a severe hail storm (it didn't actually rip but I think it was compromised). I've had mine for at least 15 years and possibly 20?

Various other brands in town and I thinknive seen them all get ripped to shreds eventually and often with just a couple of years. I think the summer sun is harder on them then the winter.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
In Calgary, you cannot have a temporary shelter in your front, even for the winter. On a busy street the chances are 100% you will be reported right away.

If you want a cheat that actually is legal and works, you can get an inflatable car storage 'thingie' that is still classed as a tarp - a guy on the corner of Capri Cres and Capri Ave NW has had one up every winter for 10 years for his collectable car - I think he uses the shop in the winter, and parks the car outside for the winter only. In the summer the car is gone, presumably in the garage.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
@Dabbler you got plenty of space in your garage right?? Lets just put it in there ;)

I messaged Lift King in Calgary. They also want $250 a month, but good to know they offer that.

I think $150/month on kijiji might be the current best bet for this winter.

Poochie

(Ken)
I just got an email from AMA with a special offer for car storage with PODS. I think the deal is $179 / month for the first 4 months, the regular price is $199 which still isn't too bad for heated storage here in Calgary.
Cheers,
Ken