• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Stupid things I have done

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
We did that to a can of beans when a couple of us went camping down at the creek when we were about 14. Beans everywhere lol. Hungry boys too, because we didn't bring much else to eat. Figured we'd just catch fish lol.

It's still a running joke whenever we go ice fishing, and fire the stove up for lunch.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
We did that to a can of beans when a couple of us went camping down at the creek when we were about 14.

I used to heat up canned beans on a camp fire when I was a boy too. You open the can about 300 degrees around leaving 60 degrees of the lid left attached to the can. Then you can use the fork of a branch to lift the can by the back edge of the lid to put the can right into the fire and also remove it when it has boiled enough.

Don't ever remember leaving the lid unopened.

When I had kids of my own, we did the same thing on trips into the forest but added hotdogs to the beans.

Now I take the grandkids. It's a great time for all of them to cook on a fire in the woods and also to carve their own spoons, poker sticks, a fire spit, and of course the requisite "bean can stick".

A squirrel, rabbit, or better yet a grouse or two on a spit makes the whole deal a lifetime memory.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Anyone that lives a rich life has these moments.... I have scars, and near misses aplenty. Some where I could have died. That is an entirely different thread, perhaps in a different forum.

I'm glad your were all right @DPittman certainly a near miss!

Probably my most regular cause of mishap is my complacency. This story reminds me to double down on diligence, Thanks for sharing!