• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Still Stupid after all these years.

Ironman

Ultra Member
You have a pool, jeeez my hounds are jealous.
Mine were 5 bucks, check the link I posted. Aiexpress is a higher priced version of Alibaba designed to satisfy the American urge for instant gratification. You will wait longer for arrival, but not 32 bucks longer.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You have a pool, jeeez my hounds are jealous.

Lots of swimming where I come from in Saskatchewan. We used to swim in the cistern that was in the basement on my home farm. Closest thing to a pool we knew.

We also used to swim in the little slough at the road cuz it was deeper than the big sloughs! Sometimes I would just go hide in the wheat fields and watch the girls from the farm down the road skinny dipping there. Once in a while we would all jump in the back of a grain truck and my uncle would take us to Watrous to swim in the brine lake there. Impossible to sink.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Two real life stories come to mind here.
One of the guys at the night SAIT gunsmithing course I took was the type of fellow that made fun of any of the safety measures that the machinist instructor mentioned from time to time. He was at the lathe directly behind me so I heard every snide comment he made after the safety orientations....until one evening half way thru the 2 month course, I heard a scream behind me. turning around I witnessed the final shreds of his shirt being wound up in the feed shaft. Lucky for him he was wearing a light summer shirt as he was strong enough to brace himself from being wound up inside the shirt. He had some very nasty skin abrasions and one shoulder was sprained a bit but he was damn lucky and I never heard another peep from him over the safety warnings.

The other story concerns the hot brass & shooting thing. One afternoon the wife & I and a buddy were out back practicing with our lever guns. Buddy was using a .45 long colt that was loaded very hot for just plinking rounds. The wife was standing off to the side & a bit behind him and one of those dam brass hit her just below the chin and slide directly down her shirt...well...she was doing the hottest dance jig you ever saw and that brass finally settled just below her belt line in her jeans....I dont know what had her more stirred up....that heat from that brass or him trying to help her get it out of her clothing...couldn't blame him for just trying to be helpful....

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
So...shooting naked would have been safer, right?

On the weld naked, in some ways it would help but you'd end up with a heck of a tan.

We unfortunately had a workplace injury last week. A welder badly burned his foot. He was following all safety procedures, long pants over boots. A large piece of slag dropped and as it fell land in a crease, burned through and dropped in to the boot. The boots were properly done up (which made matters worse) and he ended up trip to emerge, bad burn and few weeks recovery period. Heat cause the sock and boot to ignite leading to reather large area of the foot being badly burned.

While boots are supposed to be properly done up, the more experienced welders leave theirs quite loose so they can kick them off. Against the safety rules, but it seems much more sensible.

Glad you survived uninjured. I agree with Darren, the shear pin will not afford any protection. The force to shear 1/4" AL is about 2000 lbs.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Maybe, not sure it would have saved much/enough time. Its just frustrating when everything was done by the book and someone still ends up hurt....its like there is nothing to grab onto toward making sure it doesn't happen again. Loose boots I suppose, but that we can't officially endorse, and it also leads to its own safety risks.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Good experience always seems to be based on bad experience. I’m always finding new and unusual ways that could lead to injury.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I watched my dad do a real fancy dance when a chunk of slag from a oxy/act cut fell inside his winter over shoe, i learned a few new words that day.
I had the opportunity to learn about long loose coats and lead screws in person, i was very close to the head stock and the stop button but it made a loooong lasting imprint on me and my safety while operating machinery.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Maybe we should all get lead screw covers (and power feed covers). Exposed moving machinery is not a good idea.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I have them, one is installed on the headstock side. After having my apron stumble to a stop, and finding the gearbox and oil reservoir filled with chips, I bought them. They are about 5 bucks a piece. https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...offerlist.normal_offer.d_title.406c21716AYmzt
If I had an aluminum shear pin, it would have popped, but instead it broke a taper pin. Not good.
So I bought these shields and if you feel the urge to oil the lead screw, you grab the shield spring and pull it back from the collar and squirt away. The instructions do say to spray lube on the shield regularly. I used Fluid Film on installation and really haven't seen any need to do it again.
The Tailstock side may take a bit of head scratching to mount it, as the thread counter is there, and I will get a Roundtuit someday.
Hey Ironman do you recall what shipping cost from those guys?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I watched my dad do a real fancy dance when a chunk of slag from a oxy/act cut fell inside his winter over shoe, i learned a few new words that day.
I had the opportunity to learn about long loose coats and lead screws in person, i was very close to the head stock and the stop button but it made a loooong lasting imprint on me and my safety while operating machinery.

My green tractor bit me two years ago when I tried to attach a red Impliment to my green tractor, I lost the end of my pointer finger on my left hand. The internist at the hospital couldn't get the remnants of my nail off so I had to it for her.... They told me that the most injury prone profession, is farming. Just tonight a neighbour rolled a planter in the highway by moving over to let a car pass. Fortunately the hitch broke so the tractor didn't roll too. He is ok.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Hey Ironman do you recall what shipping cost from those guys?
IIRC, it was free shipping from china, and came in the mail all bubble wrapped and in a plastic mailer. It may have changed now, it was sure cheap last year.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe we should all get lead screw covers (and power feed covers). Exposed moving machinery is not a good idea.
I guess I need to change my thinking, I got my lead screw covers because I thought it was SO important to keep my lead screw CLEAN. I don't think I even considered the obvious safety factor of having the lead screw covered.:oops: The covers are worth the safety factor alone and keeping the lead screw clean is just a side bonus.

Bandit

Super User
Welding safety is a hard thing. I now wear ear plugs when I weld or cut under things/equipment, mostly when my head is very near the floor. Was welding the under frame on a snow cat once,looking up, head on rest on the skate board, had abit of slag/spark bounce off the floor into my ear. A lot of "fine" english wording followed, while trying to roll, banging my head a few times and not managing to accomplish anything. Very luckily it did not hit the ear drum. It also pays to have a safety spotter. At the very least they will know who was first at the BBQ. Hopefully they will help pull your butt out of the fire or try to put you out, (both!!!). Cutting tube/pipe etc. with one end over a pocket (generly a back one) gives a new meaning to," what do I smell burning, getting warm around here".
And other things learned the hott way!