• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Steven sucks at drilling holes- speed of drill press

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Over Christmas I started an unbelievably, incredibly, amazingly insightful thread where it was essentially pointed out that my drilling technique sucked. I received many helpful responses, but unfortunately it’s now lost to the great crash of Dec 2022.

One outstanding item was that drill presses may not run at the advertised speed, which gave me an excuse to purchase yet another tool.

Unfortunately, my test results were right on the money so I cannot blame my drill drill press, so happily the issue sits firmly with my current lack of ability. Which I can fix. Probably.

I’ll report back on my next round of hole drilling how I made out.

400rpm test:
3778D319-D157-4F61-AE57-DE6585FC012B.jpeg
9998B0A4-6FA3-4AF8-AECD-6445CD2E4EA6.jpeg

3000 rpm test:
962CBB86-BAE7-4476-831E-E85DB2B57F00.jpeg
(The above result was a bit finicky to take, it was either 2000, 3000 or 4000 depending on how close I held the meter)
798A8751-5DA0-4B63-962B-E3D2D5D6093D.jpeg

I‘ve no idea how accurate the meter is, for less than $30 it’s amazing.

I‘ve no idea how accurate the meter is, for less than $30 it’s amazing.
I've got the same meter, and its readings seem to tally with the predicted speeds on a couple of my machines, also match the RPMs from the tach I installed on my drill press. As you say, an amazing tool. Almost as nifty as those temperature reading 'guns'. :) BTW, for shiny spindles, I've had good luck with a wrap of black electrical tape, with a strip cut out - less hassle than digging out the reflective tape.

Depending on the drill used and sharpness.
I find the formula... 4 / diameter X 60 will get you close to drilling in all mild steels. In PH materials and tool steels, multiply by 40 with an arm-strong push of 3" per minute.
Hope this helps a little.

I've got the same meter, and its readings seem to tally with the predicted speeds on a couple of my machines, also match the RPMs from the tach I installed on my drill press. As you say, an amazing tool. Almost as nifty as those temperature reading 'guns'. :) BTW, for shiny spindles, I've had good luck with a wrap of black electrical tape, with a strip cut out - less hassle than digging out the reflective tape.

@DPittman - I go one step further and use a wrap of black tape and then ALSO a strip of reflective tape. I have two rpm meters. A PA one that was practically free and an Amazon one that wasn't. They are both GFS without the tape. Distance from the tape also matters.

Another tip is to setup two sets of strips one above the other (like two rings on a giant resistor). Make one reflective strip narrow and the other wide. Sometimes that helps with speed jitter. On rare occasions I've had to use two strips and divide by two for really low speeds.

A million years ago (shortly after my mother let me venture outside the cave alone), I had a mechanical one with a rubber tipped spindle on it that would count turns in a time interval to calculate rpm. It was bulletproof. I'm almost certain that one of my cubs borrowed it to setup the prop pitch on his outboard....... It never came home...... It looked a lot like a stop watch. Beautiful piece of hardware. I have a soft spot for old mechanical tools like that. I'd love to find another one.

A million years ago (shortly after my mother let me venture outside the cave alone), I had a mechanical one with a rubber tipped spindle on it that would count turns in a time interval to calculate rpm. It was bulletproof. I'm almost certain that one of my cubs borrowed it to setup the prop pitch on his outboard....... It never came home...... It looked a lot like a stop watch. Beautiful piece of hardware. I have a soft spot for old mechanical tools like that. I'd love to find another one.
Like this one?

MANUAL TACH.jpg

and that was the bub-aboo with those, stab that rubber into a center drill shaft that had been "hammer buggered" and that rubber would shred like cheese.

Back