• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Steel gear cutting

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've cut a few brass and nylon gears but had never cut a steel one until now.

I recently noticed one of the gears in my reverse tumbler mechanism on my lathe had several chipped teeth. I'm pretty sure that was caused by a dumb head operator move engaging the gears while rotating. I had noticed the gears were noisier than normal but I kind of ignored that.

I'm always a bit nervous when getting near full circle cutting when I'm sure the last few teeth are not going to fit. And then I am surprised when the last tooth gets cut perfectly.

Question for the more experienced gear cutters.... do I use the same cutter rpm calculation for determining correct cutter speed based on the gear cutter diameter just the same as an end mill? My gear cutter is 2" diameter and I ran it at about 175 rpm. Steel material is the same as I often use....who knows mystery salvage steel.
20230328_193609.jpg 20230329_075438.jpg

Attachments

• 20230329_080225.jpg
    20230329_080225.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 3

John Conroy

Premium Member
I don't know what the correct cutting speed would be bit I assume it would be normal sfm calculation for HSS. Glad your gear turned out well, I'm about to make a couple as soon as my cutter arrives from China

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Assuming your cutter is HSS, I believe the correct calculation is for the speed of the cutter tip for HSS in whatever material you are cutting.

In practice, I have not found that the speed is critical and mostly tune the speed for the best sounding/feeling cutting experience. Your mileage may vary and I am no expert. I've cut a lot of teeth, but farm gears are not exactly precision things!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm always a bit nervous when getting near full circle cutting when I'm sure the last few teeth are not going to fit.

One way to reduce the anxiety to near zero is to do a “blank pass”. Set everything up as usual and blue (or whatever your favourite colour is) the blank and just touch off the cutter (kind of like a trial pass when threading). Now just concentrate on the indexing as you go all the way around the blank making little ticks at the edge. After you are done, check for proper spacing and number of teeth. If all is a-ok, cut the gear for real. You now have a visual indication at each position and you will know for sure that the spacing is correct.

If you mess up during the trial run, just colour the blank again and start over. Nothing is lost by the first go around as the little ticks will all be gone once you chamfer the teeth when done.

Worked great when I did my 127T using differential dividing for the first time. Yes, it was an extra step, but this way I was assured that everything would work the first time while cutting for real.

As far as speeds and feeds - I do what you did (calculation) and then go as @Susquatch suggest: listen and observe. If machine is happy, the operator is happy.

Job well done.