• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Starrett Gear Calipers

Tool
I thought that rather than plug up @David_R8 's shenanigans thread I would bring what little I know over to a place of it's own.....
To be honest, I have not used them yet, I first spotted them on Craigslist when I was making the gear cutting attachment for the shaper, but were priced out of my range. Fast forward about a year and they had come down in price to something I figured I could deal with should SWMBO find out. By then, I had made my gear and it was merrily going roundy round inside the feedbox in my lathe.....
20230408_174259.jpg
HOWEVER! He says with a finger pointed to the sky, making little circles....... I have a book, and the book tells me that it's used for measuring gear tooth thickness at the pitch line.
16810067702558670708903711009222.jpg 16810069975977714582862264579544.jpg

Last two images are courtesy of the book "Precision Measurement in the Metal Working Industry"

Ironman

Ultra Member
Well, well. Live and learn. I never even imagined a tool like this, never mind being able to afford it.
I've only cut 5 gears in the last 5 years so it would take up valuable space, and never get used unless I could not identify the gear tooth. Now with the internet profile charts I have found it easy to match up a gear.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
thats more like it. I've got the Starrett, but paid the Ali price :)

Do you really need to rub that in! :D. Yes, we are all jealous!

I did a bit more digging and spotted a different color (rolling my eyes) with an electronic option for those who hate verniers.

Gear Tooth Vernier Caliper

If I did get one (Yes, I'm thinking about it), I'd prolly go vernier for the reliability. I guess I just don't trust Ali that much let alone Ali digital just yet. Of course I wouldn't be expecting Starret or Mitutoyo vernier quality either. Prolly good enough for measuring gears though!

Ironman

Ultra Member
You can't throw out bait like that and not expect some of us to rise to it! ;)

Link please!

Craig
Oh, okay.
Go to https://evolventdesign.com/blogs/history/gear-identification-template and download the chart for $5 or...
More info on sae https://omnigear.us/?page_id=160

I had the SAE profile chart from evolvent and the file is corrupted and won't open so I could only post the metric stuff. I do not know if the DP chart I posted will stay true when printed, should be a pdf.
Here is a diametrical Pitch chart

Attachments

• Metric Module Gear tooth profile.pdf
    172.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Diametral pitch chart.JPG
    Diametral pitch chart.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Do you really need to rub that in! :D. Yes, we are all jealous!

They're an oddball, not much supply and not much demand. Fairly specialized and I'd guess they would be a company supplied them. It makes the market quite lumpy if not binary lol so you wait for a low point. Looks like they are discontinued as well. So many gear manufacturers have gone away. (I remember the Toronto Gear auction, massive 8' dia wood patterns pulled out of the lofts and rafters. Quite a place.)

They are not going to do you any good to identify a gear (or pressure angle), you have to know the addendum to use it. (figuring out the DP is simple : # teeth + 2 /OD). Where they are useful is for inspecting whether you've gone deep enough with a gear you are making. Necessary if you are doing QA, but countless home shop gears have been well made by carefully touching off the cutter and relying on the feedscrew to get to the right depth.

A slow lane project of mine is a gear hobbing set up where I think it will be of benefit, so picked up for that...and also, if its cheap and I don't have, I buy it. 30 years later you end up with a lot of stuff lol

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They are not going to do you any good to identify a gear (or pressure angle), you have to know the addendum to use it. (figuring out the DP is simple : # teeth + 2 /OD). Where they are they are useful is for inspecting the whether you've gone deep enough with a gear you making.

Ya. I know. I've made lots of gears without one. Truth is that I have no slightest clue how to even use one. :rolleyes:

This is really just about cool factor...... If only it were chromed...... :cool:

Some poor soul: "What the hell is that thing?" Me: "It's an IQ tester. You put the sharp end up your nose until it hurts. Then read your IQ on the vernier part of the scale....... o_O...... Seriously, it's a Gear Caliper, lemme show you how it works....."

Even if I had one I'd prolly never use it.... LOL! Way too much fun!

Ya, I'm jealous!